FDS Redumping Project

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

NotTheCommonDose

Post by NotTheCommonDose » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:43 am

Simply put, why waste sealed because extra data called "Garbage"? If the games work fine? Now you see why I lost interest in posting here.

Jeroen

Post by Jeroen » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:09 am

NotTheCommonDose wrote:Simply put, why waste sealed because extra data called "Garbage"? If the games work fine? Now you see why I lost interest in posting here.
I agree. It's not like the game wil behave differently because of this "garbage" I mean the games were designed to work with garbage around them.

X-or

Post by X-or » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:39 am

NotTheCommonDose wrote:Simply put, why waste sealed because extra data called "Garbage"? If the games work fine? Now you see why I lost interest in posting here.
what are you talking about?
Garbage data has nothing to do with the topic. We're talking about missing data, GAP and CRC. Get your facts straight.

jonwil

Post by jonwil » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:04 am

So basically the intent is to produce 1:1 images of sealed FDS disks (including any incorrect CRCs or "garbage"/unused data that may be present), the results of which could be entered into a goodnes style database as [!] "100% correct dumps"?

X-or

Post by X-or » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:45 am

jonwil wrote:So basically the intent is to produce 1:1 images of sealed FDS disks (including any incorrect CRCs or "garbage"/unused data that may be present), the results of which could be entered into a goodnes style database as [!] "100% correct dumps"?
correct, except I don't see the use of a [!] which means nothing. I pefer to release proper documentation of the dumps in pdf format, this is what I'm doing currently.

I'd be interested to know how tepples got his 1:1 copies.
If there is a hardware that does such copies, can you link me to it?
Tototek copier (currently a prototype) aims at doing 1:1 copies. I hope they succeed someday.

tepples

Post by tepples » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:11 pm

X-or wrote:I'd be interested to know how tepples got his 1:1 copies.
What 1:1 copies? The only perfect copies of FDS games I know about are the ones that used to be inside Nintendo's "writing system" kiosks. This would be the Holy Grail of FDS emulation, but to the best of my knowledge, no writing system ROM ever leaked to the public.

X-or

Post by X-or » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:14 pm

oh sorry tepples, not you. I meant kyuusaku

kyuusaku wrote:I have full dumps that I dumped myself, they are more or less the same as what's out there floating around, they also have a lot of garbage data left on them from when I wrote other games to the disks. That makes them an unreliable reference since I have no idea what was originally on the disks, except for a few games which don't use saves. I don't know how I can say this any clearer, rebuilding is no better than .fds files.
supposing he meant 1:1 copies by "full dumps"

Lord Nightmare

Post by Lord Nightmare » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Ok, X-or, you're being silly.
JUST because EVERY SINGLE DUMPED non-kiosked FDS disk has CORRECT crc16s and has NO data at the end, does NOT, by ANY MEANS, mean that *EVERY* non-kiosked FDS disk does. Its like trying to prove global warming.
The disk HAS the crc16 data on it, and it CAN be read off of the disk. So the point is IF WE CAN READ OFF THE DATA, WHY DON'T WE?

Also, we should read off the pre-gap timing data too. Yes, it's just lots of zeroes, but its a SPECFIC NUMBER of zeroes.

Not backing up data 'just because everything else has the data correct and so we assume the data is always correct here' is an incredibly stupid idea. Its on the order of "hey, just because all non-prototype snes roms have the checksum correct, we'll just remove the checksum from the rom image because we know its correct and can regenerate it, and we save four whole bytes!"

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

dvdmth

Post by dvdmth » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:16 pm

If you were to take two sealed copies of a particular FDS game, dump them, and then compare the results, would the two dumps contain the exact same data at the exact same position on the disk, bit by bit? (No, I'm not asking anyone to actually do this, unless he/she really, really wants to...)
"Last version was better," says Floyd. "More bugs. Bugs make game fun."