It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:36 pm 
Quietust wrote:
Your IRQ code is pointing the screen at the FIRST nametable and is trying to set vertical scroll via $2005, which cannot be done mid-frame. If you want a setup similar to what SMB3 does, you should be writing $0B,$00 to $2006 and $00 once to $2005.

I'm still having a problem with the IRQs just raring to go though. As soon as I clear that interrupt disable flag the IRQs just keep on coming and coming and coming and coming, despite my writes to $e000. I think if this issue can be resolved, then I can get this dang thing to work. I hope I'm not being too bothersome; I do appreciate the help you've given me thus far. ^_^

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:44 pm 
Anonymous wrote:
Quietust wrote:
Your IRQ code is pointing the screen at the FIRST nametable and is trying to set vertical scroll via $2005, which cannot be done mid-frame. If you want a setup similar to what SMB3 does, you should be writing $0B,$00 to $2006 and $00 once to $2005.

I'm still having a problem with the IRQs just raring to go though. As soon as I clear that interrupt disable flag the IRQs just keep on coming and coming and coming and coming, despite my writes to $e000. I think if this issue can be resolved, then I can get this dang thing to work. I hope I'm not being too bothersome; I do appreciate the help you've given me thus far. ^_^

Seriously, though, make the correction on the thing yourself, and you'll see some interesting effects on the display, which got all messed up. Some tiles are drawn diagonally. :shock:

If we could master that, we could have some cool effects. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:51 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Seriously, though, make the correction on the thing yourself, and you'll see some interesting effects on the display, which got all messed up. Some tiles are drawn diagonally. :shock:

I just did, and it looked fine. The only problem was that on the FIRST scanline of the bottom region, the tiles were slightly offset. This is perfectly normal, since you did not time the $2006 writes to be within HBLANK.

Anonymous wrote:
I'm still having a problem with the IRQs just raring to go though. As soon as I clear that interrupt disable flag the IRQs just keep on coming and coming and coming and coming, despite my writes to $e000.

Like I said, that is an EMULATOR problem - if you want proper results, use a reliable accurate emulator.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:05 pm 
Quietust wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

I just did, and it looked fine. The only problem was that on the FIRST scanline of the bottom region, the tiles were slightly offset. This is perfectly normal, since you did not time the $2006 writes to be within HBLANK.

Anonymous wrote:
I'm still having a problem with the IRQs just raring to go though. As soon as I clear that interrupt disable flag the IRQs just keep on coming and coming and coming and coming, despite my writes to $e000.

Like I said, that is an EMULATOR problem - if you want proper results, use a reliable accurate emulator.

I considered that as well, but I was using FCEUXD, which runs SMB3 and Kirby's Adventure fine, but which does not seem to run this. FCEU doesn't either. Then again, your emulator loads it fine, as does Nesticle, LoopyNES, JNES, NNNesterJ, and I'm going to stop here. Still, why is it not supported by FCEU and FCEUXD? FCEUXD is based on FCEU and FCEU is well-renowned.

The other comment, Disch mentioned that. He recommended to have the interrupt start a little early. Still, timing does seem complicated and I will eventually need to implement horizontal scrolling where I would want one part of the screen to stay put. Any pointers on that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:07 pm 
Quietust wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

BTW, I have no idea how to time the $2006 writes to be within HBLANK. Being a perfectionist, I would like to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:28 pm 

Hint: if you register an account on the forums, you'll be able to edit your posts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:40 pm 

Quietust wrote:
Hint: if you register an account on the forums, you'll be able to edit your posts.

Well, I did like two years ago.

Anyway, the fact that this doesn't work on FCEU and FCEUXD makes me think there is still something wrong with the program. Now, I wish to learn more about timing the PPU, which seems to be a thing that many here have difficulty with.

I'm gonna leave in a few minutes and will be back in a few hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 4:44 am 

Well, it still doesn't work on FCEU and FCEUXD. It shows a really messed up screen instead of showing the proper one. SMB3 and Kirby's Adventure, which use the same IRQ's in the same mapper, run fine in the two programs. Because of this, I am still perplexed.