SMB 2-player Hack?

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

never-obsolete

Post by never-obsolete » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:22 am

tokumaru wrote: PC recreations are just so... uninteresting! Personally, I get a real kick out of the challenge that is making things possible on the NES. With current PC's, almost everything is possible, and, in my opinion, that makes the development of retro games for it pretty dull.
what about recreations like Metroid Cubed or Bionic Commando Rearmed? recreating the look and feel of an NES game(or any system) on newer hardware has it's own set of challenges. hell i had enough trouble getting my Pitfall clone to feel right, as simple of a game as that is; and i still don't have it as close as i would like.

Hamtaro126

Post by Hamtaro126 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:37 pm

There is another possibility. One of the demos by Bob Rost showed IRQs can have seperate palettes. So maybe it can be applied to the Player colors, as well as enemies.

Polar Hacker

Re: SMB 2-player Hack?

Post by Polar Hacker » Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:11 pm

10 years later, this dream has become a reality. A ROM hack was recently released that adds the ability to play 2-players simultaneously in Super Mario Bros. You may find it here: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4180/

Incredible to see the amount of work that was put into this. I'm not super familiar with NES programming, but I'd for someone to look into this more and see how this feat was pulled off. It appears that it's using Mapper 24, but I'm sure there's a lot more interesting information can be be uncovered here. ;)