It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:18 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:36 am 

Ok, finnaly able to reply.

Zach wrote:
Secondly, I find the text a little blurry and hard to read.. I think you could improve in this area.. I admit I am slightly medicated right now, but think it could be improved a tad for readability..

Do you feel its just as blurry everywhere in the game? I know the Credits palette doesnt have much contrast. Or is it just the font in itself?

Zach wrote:
I also noticed something with the collision detection and I'm not sure if its been brought up before, but its something I view as incorrect.. If you double back, and the snake needs the rest of its body to be clear of its path, even if you clear it by "one" block, meaning the space NEXT to the head is occupied, but the space infront of it is EMPTY, there is still a collision; is this intended ? I can try and produce a VirtuaNES movie file or something like that if required

Im not completely sure what youre refering to.. unless its the collision detection issue like Jagasian suggested, and everyone's talking about.

Zach wrote:
Also, I am the editor for Old Skool Games, an electronically distributed gaming magazine that focuses on classic consoles, and I would love to do a piece on your game in one of our next issues..

I know a lot of homebrew folks might consider their titles to be works in progress with the ability for revisions down the road (much like PC games 'patch' stuff) but if you could get into contact with me and discuss providing me with a review copy that you feel best showcases the game to the player, then I'd love to hear from you, and perhaps ask you a few detailed questions about the devlopment process.

You can visit the contacts page of our site, or drop me a PM here with an e-mail address where I could reach you. Hope to hear from you soon!

Interesting, i'd be glad to :)
My mail, best way to reach me: ingegjoestoel@hotmail.com
You want me to make a version of the game specially for reviewing, did i get you right?

WhoaMan wrote:
Matrixz,
as was the first one, i love your game. the graphics look great. i would probably also say the music is good.... but this computer lacks speakers so i have not heard it yet it sure was a surprise to see a new version, i have been working on a new version of my game also (my game still sucks) but i think its really great that the 2004 minigame nes entrys are still being worked on ^_^

Yeah, i had so many ideas i could not put in, and i still have more ideas i wanted in the
game. So im making a third version, no space limitations this time.
Looking forward to seeing what you can do with Hot Logic :)

WhoaMan wrote:
also, if you would like i can create an FTP account on elazulspad.net for you so you dont have to use geocities. if you would like this send me a message with the prefered username+password

Okay, much aprecciated. That would be great. :)
I've managed with Geocities, but everyone hates it anyway,
so i guess i better take the opportunity.

Anyway, there will definately be a bugfix version of NeSnake 2. There still seems to be some bugs that comes once in a hour, also im experimenting with the new collision detection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:53 am 

Matrixz wrote:
Anyway, there will definately be a bugfix version of NeSnake 2. There still seems to be some bugs that comes once in a hour, also im experimenting with the new collision detection.

Are you testing it on a real NES? If not, make sure to get a few guys to test it out on a real NES. I don't have a ROM programmer, but hopefully I will get my hands on a CopyNES and Squeedo soon :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:35 pm 

I found the font somewhat hard to read too, probably due to the dimmer outline around every character (I can't really put my finger on why it's difficult). Probably not much you can do without reverting to the generic font used by most games. On some screens things are quite hard to read due to the font border being almost as bright as the central strokes (credits, also sub menus in green).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:17 pm 

blargg wrote:
Probably not much you can do without reverting to the generic font used by most games.

I'd argue with that. There are plenty of 8x8 pixel fonts:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:22 pm 

if anyone would like to see what i have been working on they can get it from here http://www.elazulspad.net/eric/hotlogic.nes .... keep in mind that it is still a work in progress and it only has about 2 weeks worth of work put in to it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 8:42 am 

Jagasian wrote:
Are you testing it on a real NES? If not, make sure to get a few guys to test it out on a real NES. I don't have a ROM programmer, but hopefully I will get my hands on a CopyNES and Squeedo soon

Matrixz wrote:
The PAL version was testen on hardware to work,
but there's no reason the NTSC version shouldnt.

Answers your question? :)
Tested it on my PAL NES, btw.

Blargg wrote:
I found the font somewhat hard to read too, probably due to the dimmer outline around every character (I can't really put my finger on why it's difficult). Probably not much you can do without reverting to the generic font used by most games. On some screens things are quite hard to read due to the font border being almost as bright as the central strokes (credits, also sub menus in green).

The font was originally without borders, but it looked bad on the display
when testing on my NES. Adding border to the font helped on my NES, but.
I'll try to do another solution with the font palettes or the font itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:19 am 

Yeah, I found the font overall hard to read, especially when trying to read instructions and stuff.

I'll get into contact with you within the next few days via e-mail tho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:21 pm 

This game is very well put together. It could almost pass as a licensed release! I was wondering if you had any plans of sticking it on a cart w/ label to put up for sale? This would be great to toss in the console and jam on for awhile!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:01 pm 

Uhh, I could read the font just fine, because I wasn't running it at like 30x20 resolution where the letters appear to be a pixel in size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:08 pm 

By the way, I like the hotlogic game! I can beat the first level, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:12 pm 

Roth wrote:
This game is very well put together. It could almost pass as a licensed release! I was wondering if you had any plans of sticking it on a cart w/ label to put up for sale? This would be great to toss in the console and jam on for awhile!

That would requires :
- 1 factory made board, that's surely a lot expensive (not much any idea, but let's say arround $50)
- 2 PROMs (hum, well, let's go for $5)
- 1 capacity (not sure that's needed, but all NES games have one) ($0.01)
- 1 lockout chip defeater (this is possible to do it with several capacity, resistors and transistors to the security lines) ($0.15)
- 1 plastic packadge that fits in any NES (I'm really put this randomly, but let's say $20)

So the main cost is 50+5+0.01+0.15+20 = $75.16
If you want to take any benefit from it, you'll have to sell them $80. Plus you have to sell this, and this is another story. Who would buy a such game for the old nes $80 ??? Well, I say all the prize values more or less randomly, if someone could put others values with more knowledge behind that, that would be interessting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:35 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
That would requires :
- 1 factory made board, that's surely a lot expensive (not much any idea, but let's say arround $50)

In quantity they'd likely be cheaper, especially given that the circuit board doesn't fill the cart.

Quote:
- 1 plastic packadge that fits in any NES (I'm really put this randomly, but let's say $20)

Again, in quantity...

See also nesreproductions.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 12:04 am 

Sure, in high quantity prod, if would be cheaper, but I don't know if a high quantity of people would buy that now, everyone does like stupid games with "realistic" graphics and terrible gamplay nowdays.
tepples wrote:

Interessting, however the man uses real nes cards, to remove the original game and burn another one (he don't say that to the custommer, but I think so). I'm pretty much able to do that myself, I've build my own FF2 card, and I also made a false-label for it, but on normal paper and I just glue it on the original Zelad card, and it looks just fine. I've ever written NES-FY-FRA on it like it would on a real card (I've burn a french translation).
However, I was surprised of how similar from emulation it was. The graphics are a little better, and playing trough the controller is a little more confortable, however it's not THAT different.

If I need a board that can be found only in the U.S. like EKROM, EWROM or something (for example to play Just Breed, wich I doesn't need scince I've played the whole game trough emulation exept the last few battles, and I've been very happy even in emulation), this would be interessting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

The biggest thing with making new carts are the cases and lockout chips. I believe I've got that covered.. I'm just recycling the old stuff, however. There's plenty of it.

Lockout defeaters aren't reliable enough IMHO. I'd like to see one that could be. Nintendo revised the NES to make things difficult. I believe some unlicensed companies eventually had to start including sheets with info on how to disable the lockout. Even using the original chips really sucks a big one, when it comes to exporting carts to another region. I've put some effort into RE'ing the CIC based on electron microscope images of it's ROM (thanks to neviksti). It's possible to create a replacement, but not easily. That won't stop me from trying. :twisted:

Anyways, I've been making my own carts for a few months now, both to gain some practical experience and to raise funds for building Squeedo. I've posted very little about it here though.

Here's one I sold on ebay, a lot of pics there:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8207551746
And the main thread about it (reg. requred):
http://www.nesworld.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=sell;action=display;num=1109963922;start=0

After I get stuff going sufficiently with Squeedo, I'll be looking into producing Garage Cart #2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:12 am 

Memblers wrote:
Lockout defeaters aren't reliable enough IMHO. I'd like to see one that could be. Nintendo revised the NES to make things difficult. I believe some unlicensed companies eventually had to start including sheets with info on how to disable the lockout. Even using the original chips really sucks a big one, when it comes to exporting carts to another region. I've put some effort into RE'ing the CIC based on electron microscope images of it's ROM (thanks to neviksti). It's possible to create a replacement, but not easily. That won't stop me from trying. :twisted:

LOL !
I have one lockout chip defeater at home (unlicenced famicom->NES adaptator from my brother in law) and it usually works fine (scince all cartidge doesn't always works, it's hard to say if it's the fault of the lockout chip or not). I don't know if it just converts a signal from a Famicom CIC to a PAL CIC or if it just disables the PAL CIC, trough (does the Famicom have a CIC in it ?).
I belive it just has several capacitor, resistors and transistors. I can try to see their value and where they're connected if you want, but it's for a PAL NES so no guarantee that will work on a USA system.

Quote:
Anyways, I've been making my own carts for a few months now, both to gain some practical experience and to raise funds for building Squeedo. I've posted very little about it here though.

Here's one I sold on ebay, a lot of pics there:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=8207551746

Lol ! Did you really destroy 24 cartidges like that ?? Or did you just send the board's shematic to a factory, to eventually disolver CIC from you games, that you don't need because you disabled the CIC of your system ? In that case, why is the think copyrighted by Nintendo ? What is NES-MHROM ? Does the M stand for Memblers ?

I hope for you that nobody will notice how plain is Hot Seat Harry before buying the card (or did you do a better revison ? The original one wasn't rally descent, as I remember (ooops... I hope you won't be scared...)).
Do you really think that people would be suceptible to buy that ? Personally, I would found this offer very suspicious if I didn't know what it is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next