Video demo of my Columns clone

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Xkeeper

Post by Xkeeper » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:30 pm

Another option would be to just fade out the tiles, replace them, then fade them back in.

A lot less intrusive that way, and a nice effect instead of a blindingly bright flash.

tokumaru

Post by tokumaru » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:06 pm

Xkeeper wrote:Another option would be to just fade out the tiles, replace them, then fade them back in.

A lot less intrusive that way, and a nice effect instead of a blindingly bright flash.
That would look much better, but he said he doesn't want to break the updating process into smaller bits that will fit inside VBlank, so he has to blank the entire screen. Unless you meant he should fade the entire screen for a little while, which would actually look better than a white flash.

Drag

Post by Drag » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:39 pm

Even if it's just changed to a black flash, it'll be better. I'm just remembering how annoying it is in DKC when you have the spotlight parrot and every time you turn, the screen flashes as the light shines at you. x_x It's just a stupid little nitpicky problem that only happens in that area, but it's still a little aggrivating. :S

Sivak

Post by Sivak » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:57 pm

Oy... It's just one small screen. I suppose if the overwhelming desire for the flash to not be white is truly there, it can be black.

I kinda liked the white flash myself.

tepples

Post by tepples » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:57 am

Dwedit wrote:I always thought CHR-RAM was more expensive than CHR-ROM.
It might have been during the NES's commercial era. Right now, it's almost a wash. RetroZone lists 128 KiB UV EPROMs for $2.50 each, compared to a RAM for $2.50 and a 256 KiB UV EPROM for $3.00. And I'd imagine that prices are a lot cheaper in production quantities.

albailey

Post by albailey » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:50 am

That looks awesome Sivak. Not just the gameplay, but all the other extra effort you put in.
Al

hap

Post by hap » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:28 am

Yeah it's nice, Sivak.
Me not liking the white flash is just me being nitpicky. :P

LoneKiltedNinja

Post by LoneKiltedNinja » Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Sivak wrote:MMC3 isn't really an option for cart form as that'll add a lot more cash to make and it's not worth it. The white flash only lasts for 2 frames and I'm not going to worry about it.
Ah. I suppose I'm still new here. Didn't realize this was going to be a real cart. Keep up the good work!

MottZilla

Post by MottZilla » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:06 am

I think your game looks fantastic. I like the white flash with the sound effect. Until it was mentioned I didn't even think CHR-RAM was why it did that. I wouldn't worry about that. I think you've put together a very nice game. So I take it you're using something like UxROM?

Sivak

Post by Sivak » Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:29 pm

MottZilla wrote:I think you've put together a very nice game. So I take it you're using something like UxROM?
UNROM, 64KB.

Lord Nightmare

Post by Lord Nightmare » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:17 pm

Sorry for necroposting, but sivak, can you re-upload that video to youtube again? the last time it was uploaded was during the mid-july to august time when they were applying some completely ridiculous audio-compression-effect crap to all their audio, which was fixed in mid august, but all videos uploaded during that range need to be re-uploaded or the audio volume goes all over the place.

Awesome game btw, are you going to sell it through bunnyboy/retrousb? I'd buy it.
Are you going to do the other 2 classic columns songs (atropos and lachesis), or the original (not-columns-3) version of clotho?

LN
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

smkd

Post by smkd » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:12 pm

I didn't see this before the necropost, but it looks a well crafted game with some neat presentation.

I also think the white flash would look better as a black blank screen instead. Like suggested before, it would look even nicer if it faded to black, then the screen was blanked, tiles replaced, then faded back in.

Sivak

Post by Sivak » Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:34 pm

Regarding comments:

The video is only a demo, so I'm probably not going to re-upload it. If I feel like sharing a score video sometime, I may do that.

The game will be in cart form, yes. The Sega music is not going to be selectable in the final game as it's copyrighted. I didn't remove the song from the music data, however, so it's still playable in NSF form.

And regarding the whole miniscule white flash issue... I'm just not going to change it. Especially not at this point. :)