It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Which type of fighting game would you rather see come to fruition?
Poll ended at Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:16 am
Big fighters (think Street Fighter style) 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
Smaller fighters (think Smash Bros style) 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 16
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:53 pm 

Alright, there is now an option to vote for which everyone would rather see done. Right now the poll is set to run for 2 weeks, but if anyone feels that more time is needed, speak up : )

The poll is pretty self-explanatory I think. Out of the two styles of fighting games, which appeals most to everyone?

ORIGINAL POST----------------------------------------
TITLE: Collaboration

Hey guys, I was shot down in #nesdev about this, but I guess I should go ahead and talk about it here.

I would like to collaborate with some of you in a game. I have no set topic about the game, I have no storyline, etc. I just know I would like to make a game with some of you. If anyone has an idea that they think is out of the scope of their own ideals, or an idea that you would rather not embark on themselves, then please post it here. I am more than willing to work with any one of you because it seems there are alot of good ideas, but no one (or not many) willing to go the distance.

I just would like to make a game that is at least playable by the masses, and have some fun with it. I'm not picky about anything. I just want to have some fun, guys : )

Last edited by Roth on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:01 pm 

I know it really sucks, but if I were to collaborate with people on this, I couldn't do much programming. I am capable of programming, I just don't have much time. I would, however, be able to contribute by coming up with formats for things, like level compression and AI. I would be able to contribute conceptually for the engine, mostly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:29 pm 

I've collaborated with others on game projects in the past, and it hasn't really been successful thus far. It seems there are always problems with conflicting schedules, varying levels of availability/commitment, and some team members pulling more weight than others. Then there are the inevitable design conflicts that come from having "too many cooks in the kitchen".

Roth, you sound like a really cool guy. I admire your enthusiasm and don't want to shoot it down. I just find that working alone (or with one or two friends who can help with music, etc.) carries the least amount of overhead.

Having said that, I really enjoy the community here, and am perfectly willing to contribute in other ways. For example, if I write a tool or a section of code that others could benefit from, I'd be happy to submit those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:35 pm 

I've done some collaborative projects with a group over the internet before, 2 programmers, 1 artist, and 1 musician, and things came together pretty well. Art and music is pretty easily independant, but code can be a little challenging. It's good when you can modularize the code. e.g. one person does sound code, another does AI/ character interaction, another does tools, etc.

I guess in a way, if we use any libraries/code like the famitracker driver its a collaborative effort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:06 am 

Insteresting, yet I have to comlete my game :cry:
I have several ideas for other NES games I'd like to be making in the future, maybe that'd be great if people collaborate, but it would make things easier if they collaborate from the begining I guess. It would probably hard to include new people to a project I started alone.

EDIT : What about a fighting game where everyone could contribute one or more of his characters ? So that it would have protagonist from most known homebrew NES games :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:16 am 

Ooh, interesting idea Bregalad! A fighting game is something that I have actually talked to some of my friends about, and they all thought it sounded like a cool idea since there aren't many on the NES. That Yie Air Kung Fu (whatever it's called) and TMNT Tournament fighters are the only ones that come to mind. I think a fighting game would be a friggin' GREAT idea to run with!

I also understand everyone wants/needs to finish their own games, I am in the same boat with Elusion of the Dead. But in the near future, I would really like to work with other people, because to me it just seems like it would be more fun to do so.

I just think it would be really cool if we could break past the barrier of the whole "me me me look at my game," and progress forward to the "Hey, look at what WE did." I don't know, just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:09 am 

Quote:
I just think it would be really cool if we could break past the barrier of the whole "me me me look at my game," and progress forward to the "Hey, look at what WE did." I don't know, just a thought.

You're probably not all wrong, but I see a little problem : For my game I have my ideas and some things I saw about it since I started it 3 years ago, and if someone else came to help me to do the graphics and some programmings, I wouldn't say no. But if he imposed some of his ideas to be I would be somewhat annoyed, because I'd be afraid in the end the game wouldn't be as I originally wanted to. Maybe I'm comletely wrong on that one but oh yeah.
Typically I'd refuse that anyone would impose me to use fami tracker or nerd tracker, I want to use my own sound driver for my games because I have personal reasons to do so (it's more optimal, and I love writing sound drivers).

However, I'm not against contributing something for a game of someone else, I couldn't be frustrated because someone modified my game because it's not my game anymore (I'd only contribute small parts of it).

And yeah, the fighting game sounds like a cool idea, as discussed once before it shouldn't be too hard to programm, it could still do impressive/innovative graphics for the console, and it would be easy to split tasks with characters, and include various characters from various authors. Also, nobody would be able to make such a large fighing game on their own because you'd need to create so many characters and attacks. It would be like a NESdev tournament/competition. This sounds exiting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:46 am 

Roth wrote:
A fighting game is something that I have actually talked to some of my friends about, and they all thought it sounded like a cool idea since there aren't many on the NES. That Yie Air Kung Fu (whatever it's called) and TMNT Tournament fighters are the only ones that come to mind.

Kart Fighter was a Hong Kong Original attempt at Smash Bros. before Nintendo decided to make one of its own. And surprisingly, it sucks less than some other HKO fighters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:14 pm 

It'd be interesting to work with others on a project. I could contribute to the programming part, but I can't draw very well and still haven't learned to compose music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:23 pm 
Site Admin

If there ever would be a community fighting game, I call dibs on Squeedo del Tepton being the "Goro" of the game. :) No guarantee of quality character design though.

I'd be thrilled to do any sound work for any game project. I know there's a lot more talented musicians than me out there, though. It was a lot of fun to do the sound for Solar Wars. It was a bit stressful at the time, but infinitely rewarding.

The most collaboration I've done has been more of an advisory role. I imagine it'd be rare that a couple people could do much work on the same program like this (where all of it so tightly interwoven). Not without constant communication, like being in the same room.

My NSF Player for example, I could have (and did) make it all by myself (not the compression code, Rob Northen's), except for a couple extremely crucial math problems, and kevtris coded the solution to those. My other point being that a little bit of collaboration can go a long way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:35 am 

Memblers wrote:
The most collaboration I've done has been more of an advisory role. I imagine it'd be rare that a couple people could do much work on the same program like this (where all of it so tightly interwoven).

Collaboration becomes easier if the developers 1. document the API to each part of the engine in detail, and 2. use some sort of version control and automated rebuilds like Mozilla does. I'm pretty sure the music teams on commercial NES games used technique 1, as a lot of games' music engines are pretty much self-contained. Likewise, CHR and maps can be developed fairly independently of code: see all the ROM hacking tools out there.

Quote:
Not without constant communication, like being in the same room.

By "room", do you mean "channel"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:07 pm 

Okay, well, let's start running with ideas here!

Let's say we go ahead and start thinking about a fighting game. Everyone is welcome to introduce their character(s) into the mix, with the limits of whatever mapper is chosen (size-wise, I mean).

If we do this, then we should probably set a max number of sprites that a character can have. 5 sprites tall, 3 sprites wide? 5 or 6 tall, 4 wide? I'd like to hear some input on this. We can incorporate the flicker thing of course, but I'd like to know what others think would be best for this kind of game (think of the moves like jump kicks, etc.)

Palettes. Does it sound reasonable to allocate 6 colors (1 1/2 sprite palettes) to each character? This could leave room for more sprites for score, how many times they've been beaten, etc.

Moves. Should we set a definite way that the moves should be made? Like, should we only allow for certain button combinations, or let people run wild with their ideas on button combos?

Are there any particular people that would like to do certain things? Like, backgrounds, the sprites themselves, music, etc. I see Memblers has already said he likes to do sound.

This could be really cool. I'd like to hear all sides, here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:49 pm 

If you make a fighting game, you'd want to have larger sprites. You'd definitely want to use 8x16 sprites for this reason. I think 6x4 sprites sounds like a reasonable size for metasprites. With 8x16 sprites, you can get taller sprites using less. But you probably don't want to do much sprite layering, as you'd interfere with the limit of 8 sprites per scanline a lot.

Thankfully for backgrounds and the title screen, you could fit those all into one bank. I'd also suggest having like a 64x30 tile arena (2 screens wide, 1 tall). That would be easy enough.

The most difficult challenge would be making a decent fighting game with only 2 buttons. I suggest that up would be jump. Would you have lots of combos? I would probably have pre-defined combos, but a lot of them for individual characters. It would be easier to program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:04 am 

About graphics, I think making one fighter BG and the other sprite would be a good idea. This would allow characters of about 8 tiles tall and 6 tiles wide, which sounds decent. Various arenas can look good while coming with a blank area in their middle (for example a street that has a grey area in the middle, a forest that would have a plain grass area in the middle, etc, etc...). I wouldn't mind minor flickering, but the game should look as good as possible. Using 8x16 sprites seems like a good idea, too.

About sound, I'd agree to do some music but I'm inexperienced in composing rock/techno oriented music (I could easily get inspired by existing music though).
I guess everyone can contribute characters with their graphics, arenas, music themes and controls, but some work should be done in order to come with cohesion between them (it would look wrong if a super realistic fighter would come against a super-SD fighter with the head being half of his size).

About controls, I'd be for the standard A=punch, B=kick, up=jump, down=duck, and various combination of them allowing more moves (for example upper-cuts) or combos. I'd be against using select or start during gameplay (for something else than pausing the game).

Arenas of 1 screen tall and 2 screens wide sounds perfect to me.

EDIT : If a project like that is actually done it'd be great to actually have an official blog/wiki/webpage about it or something like that. Just posting here in the bbs will make things unorganized, but yes we should first have some brain-storming before actually starting of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:17 am 

While scrolling horizontally, it would look really cool if each scanline of the arena floor were scrolled just a little bit faster than the scanline above it. That would create a sweet parallax effect like the one used in Street Fighter 2 on the SNES (or the bonus stages in Battletoads in Battlemaniacs, also on the SNES).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next