rNES - a NES library for cc65 - version 0.1 released

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Petruza

Post by Petruza » Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Thanks! it's a good source of inspiration

Jon

awesome! I use cc65

Post by Jon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:12 pm

I mainly use ca65 (the assembler) because it has a lot of nice features and the linker is really powerful in the cc65 package. I haven't gotten far enough to do anything with the C compiler in it yet, and I did notice some NES package on the cc65 website, but it seemed large and undocumented.

I wasn't able to download your rNES link because the hostname doesn't resolve to anything. I suspect it's dynamic DNS and you're not online?
"Resolving petruza.com.ar... failed: Name or service not known."

I am a big fan of mixing C and assembly, because C is quite a bit easier for handling data structures and state machines than assembly.

We should all know at least enough assembly to debug our C code is my belief, but knowing more is not absolutely necessary, despite what some of the other people have been saying. We should choose our battles carefully, we can spend a lot of time trying to make a compact and optimal image, or we can be "sloppy" and use the time for things like testing, design and improving game play.

Petruza

Re: awesome! I use cc65

Post by Petruza » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:36 pm

Jon wrote:I wasn't able to download your rNES link because the hostname doesn't resolve to anything. I suspect it's dynamic DNS and you're not online?
"Resolving petruza.com.ar... failed: Name or service not known."
Thanks for reminding me, recently my hosting provider realized I was hosting many sites in one account and made me delete all the dns redirections, so now it's accesible at:
http://tachdaun.com.ar/rnes/

I'll update the link in the first post.

And thanks for the interest, I'm rewriting the library in ca65 assembler so if you want to help, you're welcome!

frantik

Post by frantik » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:32 pm

the folks at playpower should check this out http://groups.google.com/group/playpowertech

Jon

Post by Jon » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:17 pm

frantik wrote:the folks at playpower should check this out http://groups.google.com/group/playpowertech
I never heard of this before you mentioned it, but it sounds like a noble project! I'm just coming back to 8-bit very recently, so I probably can't contribute anything. But I'll have to bring it up at the next SVFIG meeting (silicon valley forth interest group) because there are a lot of old timers there who used to program 8-bit systems professionally. Assuming someone hasn't spread the word already.

Petruza

Post by Petruza » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:34 pm

frantik wrote:the folks at playpower should check this out http://groups.google.com/group/playpowertech
They did :D

frantik

Post by frantik » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:18 pm

cool :D

i'm actually working on a similar type of library but for ASM6, so i've been checking out your code for some ideas on how to implement the the lowerlevel stuff. :)

one thing I noticed is it looks like youre polling $2002 for vblank? which is Not Good (tm) according to this thread

Petruza

Post by Petruza » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:15 am

frantik wrote:one thing I noticed is it looks like youre polling $2002 for vblank? which is Not Good (tm)
Yes thanks, I'm aware of that now, and will fix it in v0.2

Hey, I'd like to see your code too, as I'm an ultra newbie in assembler I could steal, I mean get inspired, by your code.

frantik

Post by frantik » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:30 pm

Petruza wrote:Hey, I'd like to see your code too, as I'm an ultra newbie in assembler I could steal, I mean get inspired, by your code.
sure.. once it's finished i'll be sure to post it up :)

0x7c00

Post by 0x7c00 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:35 pm

The demo nes run out nothing in FCEUX 2.1
What's wrong?

Petruza

Post by Petruza » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:01 am

What is wrong is that I'm new to assembler, new to the NES and I developed it testing only with emulators.
But in fact it works on other emulators I don't remember now. jNES, I think. And in some version of FCEUX.

Buba

Post by Buba » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Is it possible to download rnes library? Links in the topic are broken

JenniBee

Post by JenniBee » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Buba wrote:Is it possible to download rnes library? Links in the topic are broken
I would also like to know the same thing. I came here from Google, while searching for information on cc65 for NES, and came across the rNES library. I would like to try it out, but the website linked in the first post doesn't exist anymore.

Petruza

Post by Petruza » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi, I've received some requests for this since it's not online anymore, so here it is:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z7CXE0NG

I'm afraid I won't be doing any more development on rNES but I invite and encourage anyone to take it, complete it and make it better.
My idea was coding it again from scratch in assembler, due to NES's memory and cpu cycles constraints, but still providing a C binding to use the library.
Anyway, if anyone wants to continue work on this, let me know!

Buba

Post by Buba » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:44 pm

Megaupload says "File temporary unavailable" :( Let's wait for some time, maybe it is just hoster problem

Update. It was turned off Flash in my browser.