DreamEmulation Project: NES Edition

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Christuserloeser

DreamEmulation Project: NES Edition

Post by Christuserloeser »

Hi there,

I'm working on a NES compilation for SEGA Dreamcast to be released as part of our DreamEmulation Project series at http://www.DCEvolution.net

To get a picture of the direction I am aiming at with this compilation, you could download the SEGA 8bit Edition (SMS/GG/SG1000) we released a few months ago:

http://www.dcevolution.net/goto.php?id=54 [The download is on the left menu]

I hereby would like to ask everyone visiting these boards to contribute NES ROMs for inclusion to this collection. Maybe you got a discontinued or recently updated game, demo or intro lying around, unreleased as of yet ? or something that's been overlooked when it's been released ?

For the case you think that what you have would not be worth a release, I have to say that every piece of code is interesting for me. I'm not looking for commercial games! So, if you 'just' got this NSF player ROM or a small 'Hello World' intro showing your website's url and it's not yet listed on NESdev then that's what I am looking for.

If you'd include the source code it'd be great, if you'd rather not or just can't find it anymore, then that's fine too.

For those of you working on complex long-term projects that aren't anywhere near ready for a preview release right now, I'd like to suggest to maybe throw together a little 'Coming soon' demo ROM showing one or more screens and playing a track of the game's OST and thus advertising what you're working on.

Okay, back to work for me. ^^ Can't wait to see what you guys come up with !
teaguecl

Post by teaguecl »

Just a reminder that on the NES there are a LOT of homebrew programs running around that do not work properly on hardware. Most of these do work to varying degrees on some of the less accurate emulators. You may want to limit your search to code that actually works on HW, or at least document their compatibility so your users don't get confused when it doesn't work.
Christuserloeser

Since the vast majority of the included ROMs comes with source code and original documentation (saying if tested on rHW or not), I don't think that's much of a problem. :)

Else I can say is that I won't include any ROMs to this release that are not working with FCEUltra and NesterDC. Both emus are pretty comparable compatibility-wise. Selectable via NesterDC are only those games & demos that work with that emu, everything else that's working with FCEUltra but not NesterDC will be added to the PC folders for completeness [pretty much like with the SEGA 8bit Edition that I've linked to above].
tepples

Post by tepples »

I have worked on a tetris clone for NES. It's playable but not finished. It runs well on fce ultra and nintendulator, and an earlier build was tested successfully on a real NTSC NES.

So when's the deadline for me to submit, say, Pin Eight Tetramino (for DreamEmulation Project).nes?
Christuserloeser

Sounds fantastic :!:

Let's say sunday... or maybe monday? It all depends on how much time I can save when I try to avoid useless habits like 'sleeping' :lol:

Nah, actually I'm pretty finished with everything (menus, documentation, covers, extra content, etc.)...

How much time would you need? Just keep me posted about your progress...

Edit:
Christuserloeser wrote:[...]I won't include any ROMs to this release that are not working with FCEUltra and NesterDC. Both emus are pretty comparable compatibility-wise.
I have to correct myself on this one. I just did some additional tests with both emus and the games I excluded when I started working on this project in early 2004 and it seems that NesterDC is far more compatible than FCE Ultra. Only those homebrew games & demos from the Nesticle days won't work.
The only drawback is that NesterDC hasn't the same support for (strange & rare) mappers as FCE Ultra.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Christuserloeser wrote:it seems that NesterDC is far more compatible than FCE Ultra.
There is a HUGE difference between compatibility and the ability to run large quantities of homebrew games. Remember, a lot of those homebrew games do not function at all on a real NES.

I'd highly recommend using Nintendulator for testing - it can be found at http://nintendulator.sf.net/

[edit: add URL, since the site is back online; seems the only problem all along was that its IP address changed!]
Last edited by Quietust on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Christuserloeser

I know, I know... but I kinda hope(d) that it also would indicate that NesterDC could be pretty accurate.

...thanks for the hint on Nintendulator :D
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Here's the version of Tetramino that I submitted for the compilation:

blargg

Post by blargg »

You could include a copy of the iNES ROM I made that demos the saw-wave-with-DMC technique I developed and tested on a NES. FCEU should play it properly (don't know about other emulators). One of the ROMs plays a song from Tetris on Game Boy using the saw wave for one of the parts.
Last edited by blargg on Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I wrote a demo with an animated sprite of Ayla (Chrono Trigger, SNES) ported to the NES to proove that the NES is able to do very detailed sprites even with only two sprites palettes.
I temporary uploaded it there : http://jonathan.microclub.ch/ayla.nes
I think it would be good to upload it to the NESDEV main page.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
tepples

Post by tepples »

It appears you are looking for music ROMs in iNES format.

Here's my "dy-covers.nsf" converted by Chris Covell.

And here's the readme file for Tetramino.
Christuserloeser

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for all your support :D

I'll have a beta online in a few hours. The release will most-likely happen tomorrow.
Christuserloeser

Okay, after some delay you can download a pretty much finished & final version from here:

[Link edited out, check the final download below]

Burn the image via DiscJuggler, Alcohol 120% (in TAO mode) or using BootDreams by LyingWake:

http://www.consolevision.com/members/fackue/

If you do not have a CDR at hand you can open the CDI with CDMage.

However this is a Dreamcast release and thus the best would be to try it on a Dreamcast before spoiling menus and content via your PC :wink:

Any comments are welcome :D

Since I have yet to comment on your contributions:
tepples wrote:It appears you are looking for music ROMs in iNES format.

Here's my "dy-covers.nsf" converted by Chris Covell.

And here's the readme file for Tetramino.
Those covers of yours are great! A very nice addition. Thanks a lot :)

Bregalad wrote:I wrote a demo with an animated sprite of Ayla (Chrono Trigger, SNES) ported to the NES to proove that the NES is able to do very detailed sprites even with only two sprites palettes.
I temporary uploaded it there : http://jonathan.microclub.ch/ayla.nes
I think it would be good to upload it to the NESDEV main page.
Looks pretty good :shock: Thanks for that!

blargg wrote:You could include a copy of the iNES ROM I made that demos the saw-wave-with-DMC technique I developed and tested on a NES. FCEU should play it properly (don't know about other emulators). One of the ROMs plays a song from Tetris on Game Boy using the saw wave for one of the parts.
It plays perfectly I think so I included the Tetris ROM. I've yet to do a 1:1 comparison tho. - Thanks a lot, I've not noticed this one before.

I included the MP3 (along with your other test ROMs) to the /Source folder.
Last edited by Christuserloeser on Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christuserloeser

Time for an update:

http://www.dcevolution.net/dsdevelopmen ... EP_v11.rar

I excluded the content of the /GENIE/ folder (exept SMW and SoF) to fix the loading time issue of the Slideshow app (the complete Game Genie Code collection is still archived in /EXTRA/CHEATS/Genie.zip), added missing CMU 98-026 game manuals and covers, replaced the slideshow start-up screen with a new version and fixed typos and grammar within the release documentation (on-screen & 'release.txt').

This version finally will be the one to be released tomorrow :D
Christuserloeser

Okay, it's officially released ! :D

The DEP: NES website is located here: http://www.dcevolution.net/goto.php?id=65

The newspost:
In association with NESdev.com DCEvolution.net proudly presents another great release of the DreamEmulation Project series for SEGA Dreamcast: This time it's our ultimate tribute to NINTENDO's classic 8-bit system and the incredible scene that takes care of keeping our childhood memories alive.

The image has been in development for a very long time and got support from many people of the Dreamcast and the NES scenes. And it shows: After downloading and unpacking you get an image filled with 370 MByte NES goodies bringing back those nostalgic feelings.

There's really no disc space wasted, certainly not with what it's filled with:
- High quality image menu system (artwork by Mikey242)
- Background info on the NES, its homebrew scene and more
- 32 original classic NES TV commercials
- 57 MP3 tracks, including five complete records
- 180 free NES games and demos, lots of them previously unreleased!
- 230 NES Music ROMs featuring original compositions & remixes
- FSL Menu Theme Selector and six different NesterDC themes to choose
- 110% compatible for browsing the image on your PC too!

But this release is not only a tribute to the NES, it's also our definite tribute to NesterDC: With this release we say 'Good Bye' to Takayama Fumihiko's greatly improved port of Nester, that served our needs for exactly three years now, and 'Hello' to NesterDC SE, the forthcoming update of everyone's favorite NES emulator by Scherzo.

Wait no longer and rush to this page, with more info, screenshots and the download of 324MB (found at the right menu).

Like this one? Then also try our previous DreamEmulation Project releases:
DEP: Gameboy/Color
DEP: Master System