It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:51 pm 

I'm coding a game and I know it will never be complete without music and sound. But the thing is I don't know a thing about sound programming (neither NES nor PC), and don't know anything about music either (I was in 3rd grade when I had my last music lesson, and I just pretended to play anyway...).

But I'm not particularly concerned about it right now, as there are tons of graphic stuff to be coded first! However, I'm in the process of designing the levels and deciding their storage format, and MUST take into account the space music/sound data and code usually take, so that I can leave some room for implementing them later.

Besides the size of it, it would be nice if anyone could also tell me how much CPU time the sound programming usually eats, so I can also take it into account when programming the main engine.

If anyone could point me to any tutorials on sound/music programming for the NES, that would also be great!

Thanks for the help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:58 pm 

Well, personally I recommand everything but NT2, but many people here will say the opposite. I think a sound code doesn't eat many cycles, exept if it's a "very advanced" sound code. Like a just explained in another thread, you can fix youreself how cycles it eats, how memory space it needs and how ROM it will take in function of how advanced or simle is your sound code. The very best is to write your own, but if you're not musician, you'll have to ask someone else. Well, in that case that would be good to fix with him how advanced would be the sound code and what features it could have, but sound effects also counts. You can have just beeps and bleeps, or detailed and exciting sound effects.