PDRoms Coding Compo v4.01 - NES allowed!

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Kojote
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Salzburg, Austria
Contact:

Post by Kojote » Sun May 31, 2009 4:18 pm

so far no nes entries... a bit disappointing, specialy because someone was asking for a compo in these boards and others agreed that there needs to be one...
well... shit happens i guess :)
Kojote
http://www.pdroms.de - Homebrew news for consoles & handelds
http://www.retroguru.com - Retroguru Game Development
http://www.speckdrumm.org - Speckdrumm - Austrian Demogroup
http://www.retromagazine.eu - Retro - German Retrogaming Print-Magazine

User avatar
Jeroen
Posts: 1048
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:49 pm

Post by Jeroen » Sun May 31, 2009 4:20 pm

I think the fact that it had to be a puzzle game kinda ticked people off. It just narrows it down alot.

Tom
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Tom » Sun May 31, 2009 5:31 pm

Kojote wrote:so far no nes entries... a bit disappointing, specialy because someone was asking for a compo in these boards and others agreed that there needs to be one...
well... shit happens i guess :)
Well there's a least one, I just sent mine in. Can you tell us how many other entries you've got so far?

User avatar
miau
Posts: 188
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:34 am
Location: Potsdam, Germany
Contact:

Post by miau » Sun May 31, 2009 6:03 pm

In my opinion the puzzle game rule wasn't such a bad choice, keep it simple. :)

I would have loved to participate, but other projects are currently taking all my time. I hope there will be more compos in the future that accept NES submissions.

Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to seeing the entries of this compo.

User avatar
Banshaku
Posts: 2396
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:38 pm
Location: Japan
Contact:

Post by Banshaku » Sun May 31, 2009 7:11 pm

I was going to say that there is already someone that will post an entry but Tom mentioned it himself.

A compo seems interesting but for my case, yes, the fact that it's a puzzle game didn't help since I'm not a fan of the genre. Except for that, time constraints and my tools are not ready so I may have not been able to participate.

User avatar
Kasumi
Posts: 1292
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:09 pm

Post by Kasumi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:02 pm

I'd have liked to participate, but like miau I have a bunch of other projects that are more important to me right now. I hope the low number of NES entries for this competition does not affect your decision to include it in future competitions.

Drag
Posts: 1335
Joined: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:57 pm
Contact:

Post by Drag » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Kasumi wrote:I'd have liked to participate, but like miau I have a bunch of other projects that are more important to me right now. I hope the low number of NES entries for this competition does not affect your decision to include it in future competitions.
Yeah, I *am* interested in the compo, even if I couldn't finish my entry* in time. :P Maybe I'll have a better shot for the next time, if there is one. :P

* This is supposed to be a puzzle where there's a ball, and you need to arrange the board in such a way that there's a path for the ball to fall from an indicated cell on the top to a goal on the bottom. I'm still lacking the ball and a whole bunch of other stuff. :P So yes, I'm not making anything up, I really did indeed attempt to make something for the compo. ;P

User avatar
Cthulhu32
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Post by Cthulhu32 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:28 am

Drag wrote:
Kasumi wrote:I'd have liked to participate, but like miau I have a bunch of other projects that are more important to me right now. I hope the low number of NES entries for this competition does not affect your decision to include it in future competitions.
Yeah, I *am* interested in the compo, even if I couldn't finish my entry* in time. :P Maybe I'll have a better shot for the next time, if there is one. :P

* This is supposed to be a puzzle where there's a ball, and you need to arrange the board in such a way that there's a path for the ball to fall from an indicated cell on the top to a goal on the bottom. I'm still lacking the ball and a whole bunch of other stuff. :P So yes, I'm not making anything up, I really did indeed attempt to make something for the compo. ;P
Oh man you need to finish that game! That is super wicked. Let me know if you want my physics src before I release my demo :) I'm sure you could come up with a quick physics engine though.

Kojote
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:57 pm
Location: Salzburg, Austria
Contact:

Post by Kojote » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:56 pm

indeed tom is the only hero of the nes scene in the held compo :)

for all the others: we basically thought that "puzzle/logic" genre is quite simple to realize, obviously we were wrong. in the next compo i try to have a "general" topic again. in fact it was also a bit of an experiment. even after eight or nine(?) compos you can't learn enough :)
Kojote
http://www.pdroms.de - Homebrew news for consoles & handelds
http://www.retroguru.com - Retroguru Game Development
http://www.speckdrumm.org - Speckdrumm - Austrian Demogroup
http://www.retromagazine.eu - Retro - German Retrogaming Print-Magazine

Post Reply