GemVenture

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems.

Moderator: Moderators

Tom
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

GemVenture

Post by Tom » Wed May 27, 2009 10:24 pm

GemVenture is the game I'm working on for the pdroms contest. It's a PuzzleQuest sort of game. Here's some screenshots:

Image
Image

I've still got a bunch of things to do, but I'm looking to see if anyone wants to test out an early version. I can check that it works on hardware, I'm looking for gameplay testing. Send me a PM if interested.

User avatar
Bregalad
Posts: 8018
Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Chexbres, VD, Switzerland

Post by Bregalad » Thu May 28, 2009 6:06 am

That's fun I had to programm almost the exact same thing in C++ for scool and I'm having to defend the project in a few hours. So yeah I'm used to "test early versions" of this game.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.

User avatar
Cthulhu32
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: GemVenture

Post by Cthulhu32 » Thu May 28, 2009 7:52 am

Tom wrote:GemVenture is the game I'm working on for the pdroms contest. It's a PuzzleQuest sort of game. Here's some screenshots:


I've still got a bunch of things to do, but I'm looking to see if anyone wants to test out an early version. I can check that it works on hardware, I'm looking for gameplay testing. Send me a PM if interested.
Awesome! That looks a bit like the prototype I was mocking up for an NES puzzlequest, but much cooler :D

Image

Looks great so far. I probably don't have a lot of time to devote to playtesting, but I will be sure to play the contest release!

Tom
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: GemVenture

Post by Tom » Thu May 28, 2009 9:11 pm

Cthulhu32 wrote:Awesome! That looks a bit like the prototype I was mocking up for an NES puzzlequest, but much cooler :D
Thanks! I was worried about the graphics, as it's not my strong suit, but I was pretty happy with how they turned out. It helps that a lot of things were cut due to time, so that cut down on graphics needed.

Your prototype looks pretty nice. Did you get to spells yet? It looks like you were doing a more direct port of PuzzleQuest. I tried to mix things up a bit, like having 6 types of mana.

User avatar
eleventhirtyfour
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:12 am
Location: St. Charles, MO
Contact:

Post by eleventhirtyfour » Thu May 28, 2009 10:11 pm

Alright. um... I think it was on the Orc level, when it's computer's turn it makes the noise like a successful move was executed, when in fact nothing happened at all. On the Will O Wisp level, it sped up really fast for no reason at all. And, finally, on the Dragon level, I was never given a turn at all and died as a result. I don't know if any of those situations were intentional but they seemed weird so there you go. Also, as a personal opinion, it needs music (I made some if you want to use it lol), and I felt that it started out challening and only got easier and by like the sixth level it was a cinch and I almost didn't really have to pay too much attention or use too much strategy. But, all that having been said, I do sincerely think the game is awesome and addictive. Thanks for letting me test it!
http://cashcrate.com/1057292 (a good place to make a little extra spending $)

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=371826 (a fun way to win free video games and consoles)

Tom
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Tom » Fri May 29, 2009 6:20 am

Thanks for testing it! Yeah, music is one of those things I need to do. The other big one is having more character classes (ie different sets of spells). I'll look at those issues you saw, tweak the difficulties, and maybe have a version with some character classes later today.

Just out of curosity, which stats were you leveling up?

User avatar
Cthulhu32
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Re: GemVenture

Post by Cthulhu32 » Fri May 29, 2009 7:26 am

Tom wrote:
Cthulhu32 wrote:Awesome! That looks a bit like the prototype I was mocking up for an NES puzzlequest, but much cooler :D
Thanks! I was worried about the graphics, as it's not my strong suit, but I was pretty happy with how they turned out. It helps that a lot of things were cut due to time, so that cut down on graphics needed.

Your prototype looks pretty nice. Did you get to spells yet? It looks like you were doing a more direct port of PuzzleQuest. I tried to mix things up a bit, like having 6 types of mana.
Yeah the graphics look great, I'd suggest maybe loading an initial background before you start running the game engine if that's possible so you have a backdrop? I have a 4 color map optimizer I wrote in python if you'd like it, it outputs a CHR file and a map file in binary format for all tiles.

Nah I only had the basic gameplay running in Python/Pygame. I really just wanted to see how hard the logic would be and if I could do it in the 6502 ASM cause I'm still pretty crappy at it. Spells was next on my list, then life points. But I like the way you did it, not as much of a direct port :D

User avatar
eleventhirtyfour
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:12 am
Location: St. Charles, MO
Contact:

Post by eleventhirtyfour » Fri May 29, 2009 10:52 am

At first I was leveling up all of them but after about 6 or so levels I just kept doing attack out of laziness. Also, I think that's one of the reasons it got really easy.

Also, I personally don't think it makes sense to have all of your power-ups when you have to start all the way over. That's probably what it was that was making it so easy to fly through it. I think you should either start over on the level you left off on with the same power-ups or start all the way over with no power-ups. It's kind of an easy way of cheating, actually, the way it's set up right now.
http://cashcrate.com/1057292 (a good place to make a little extra spending $)

http://swagbucks.com/?cmd=sb-register&rb=371826 (a fun way to win free video games and consoles)

Tom
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Tom » Fri May 29, 2009 5:59 pm

eleventhirtyfour wrote:Also, I personally don't think it makes sense to have all of your power-ups when you have to start all the way over. That's probably what it was that was making it so easy to fly through it. I think you should either start over on the level you left off on with the same power-ups or start all the way over with no power-ups. It's kind of an easy way of cheating, actually, the way it's set up right now.
Oh yeah, that was a bug. Stats are supposed to go back to zero when you lose. Fixed now.

Anyways, I've got a new version. Bugs fixed, monsters tweaked, and character classes! Behold the mighty class selection screen!

Image

Tom
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

Re: GemVenture

Post by Tom » Fri May 29, 2009 7:49 pm

Cthulhu32 wrote:Yeah the graphics look great, I'd suggest maybe loading an initial background before you start running the game engine if that's possible so you have a backdrop? I have a 4 color map optimizer I wrote in python if you'd like it, it outputs a CHR file and a map file in binary format for all tiles.
Do you mean having some graphics around the border of the gameboard? The large black areas in the upper left and upper right were reserved for character/monster portraits, but I'm not going to time to do them now. Besides those areas, there's not a whole of space to work with. I don't want to make the screen too busy. But maybe I can put something else where the portraits were going to go if I have time.

User avatar
Cthulhu32
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Post by Cthulhu32 » Sat May 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Yeah nothing too distracting but maybe some kind of pattern. For example take a tetris nes screenshot, and remove the sides. You'll see it doesn't have tje same finished feel. Plus its a pretty easy fix since you should only be writing that map data once. I also was playing with some graphics and even like a picture frame looking border grabs the eyes really well. Great job so far.

tepples
Posts: 22331
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Post by tepples » Sun May 31, 2009 9:14 am

Cthulhu32 wrote:Yeah nothing too distracting but maybe some kind of pattern. For example take a tetris nes screenshot, and remove the sides.
You mean like this?
Image

User avatar
Cthulhu32
Posts: 15
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 8:47 am
Location: New York, NY
Contact:

Post by Cthulhu32 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:14 am

tepples wrote:
Cthulhu32 wrote:Yeah nothing too distracting but maybe some kind of pattern. For example take a tetris nes screenshot, and remove the sides.
You mean like this?
Exactly! Compare these two pictures, and imagine even removing the border around the tetris box.

Image

Notice how much better the one on the right looks, even though ALL its doing is adding a background tile set. Even with just the single picture frame it looks better than if it was totally black.

Tom
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 5:36 am
Location: Massachusetts

Post by Tom » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:37 am

I ended up putting in a simple frame. Unfortunately there's not a lot of space for it, and I couldn't put anything directly around the playfield due to the attribute tables. I might have been able to shuffle stuff around for it, but I didn't want to make such a large change at the last minute.

Image

tepples
Posts: 22331
Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 11:12 pm
Location: NE Indiana, USA (NTSC)
Contact:

Post by tepples » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:39 am

Could you do a border with a vertical column of sprites, like Super Mario Bros. 3 does?

Post Reply