It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:26 pm 

Bregalad wrote:
Another challenge would be to use only an UNROM card or something and does this with CHR RAM.

Pretty much every PC Engine game with parallax scrolling uses this technique. When I first saw demo3, I thought to myself "I can name that tune in five tiles of VRAM."

Quote:
I'd like someday to make a game where every player and monster is just some tiles from CHRAM that are getting re-written regulary to allow more animation frames and more flexibility

I've written an article about this technique targeting the GBA. A custom mapper that uses data latches to allow writing to VRAM through CPU$5000-$5FFF to simulate GBA style dual-ported VRAM might be useful for this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:31 pm 

tepples wrote:
I've written an article about this technique targeting the GBA.

me and some friends did a little gba demo for like a year ago using that technique. I thought it was rather common to use it on the gba, is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:53 am 

I really ask myself why EVERYONE is speaking about GBA dev in there. You know, here is basically the NES dev thread, and I think it's interesting to compare the NES with different hardware. But why are everyone speaking about the GBA ? I've nothing against the GBA (exept that a blue line of pixels constantly appears vertically on the middle of the screen on mine, and it appeared just after the warranty has been expired, this is pretty much terrible), but I know absolutely nothing about GBA dev, and everyone speaks about the GBA as if GBA dev would be very comon to everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:56 am 

I agree. Why does everyone speak about GBA dev? I've looked for tools for GBA dev, and I've found nothing. No graphics editors, no roms, no emulators, or anything. And everyone's just like, "oh yeah, that's how you do this on gba blah blah blah blah blah". And I'm just saying that this is NESdev, and not GBAdev, so don't speak of it here! No, memblers should probably create a GBAdev forum, and we'll all be happy. I don't know what I'm talking about, so I'm going to stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:25 am 

if you're referring to my post then I'm sorry. If I could remove the message I would.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:08 pm 

I'm not reffering to any particular post, but it's by far not the fist time this happens. I'm not particulary scared, but rather confused. Many times I saw blah blah balh, just like the GBA when blah blah blah. Some people may be used to gba dev, but not everyone in there. If you want speak about gba dev, just go on http://www.gbadev.org which is the equivelent to this site for the gba.
I'm not against to compare how thing works on a console or like on another, but I'm against something like "Just do like we do on the gba" like if it was common and understandible for everyone. I think if you go on gbadev's forum and, for example, ask a question about graphics, and say "yeah, it's just like doing sprites with $4014 on the NES", I'm pretty sure that not everyone there will understand, but if you say "the NES also have a similar DMA feature for the sprites, I think it's better than....." it would be better.
Overall, the particular post above isn't much scaring, even if it is not as addictive that it would be supposed to be, but I remember some other thread on the hardware section that would put 3.3 V flash chips "like the GBA", or doing another thing "like the GBA" that I have even no idea what it is. That's rather scaring.

Another confusing thing is that, on the other thread, a discussion about the SNES seems to be prohibed, even if the SNES is a lot closer to the NES than the GBA, but everyone is always talking gba in there. That's just it. Okay, tepples is a guy comon in gbadev and nesdev, but is that enough ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:02 pm 

Sorry, this is RANDOM, and has nothing to do with this forum, but who do you think is the most well known person in the world of NESdev? I'm thinking either kevin horton or marat fayzullin. Maybe y0shi. Who do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:55 pm 

Celius wrote:
Sorry, this is RANDOM, and has nothing to do with this forum, but who do you think is the most well known person in the world of NESdev? I'm thinking either kevin horton or marat fayzullin. Maybe y0shi. Who do you think?

Shigeru Miyamoto. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:58 pm 

Yeah, but I mean like people in the world of homebrew nesdev. otherwise, he would be very popular.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:04 pm 

Even worse than occasionally mentioning parallels to GBA programming is thread hijacking for a different topic, as is happening to this thread right now. This thread is one of the worst: homebrewn NES game release: NeSnake 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:41 am 

blargg wrote:
Even worse than occasionally mentioning parallels to GBA programming is thread hijacking for a different topic, as is happening to this thread right now. This thread is one of the worst: homebrewn NES game release: NeSnake 2.

LOL you're so right. By the way... what's the universe ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:22 pm 

Sorry for bringing up this old dead thread, but I was just going to say that I was officialy impressed when I saw this game that I borrowed from someone, it's called Al Something jrs Turbo Racing. Oh my gosh. I'm more impressed at this than Cosmic Epsilon. This gives you more 3D than Mario Kart on SNES. There's a concept of hills! You round corners and whatnot. You can go up/downhill. Go download the ROM, you'll be impressed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 3:07 pm 

since we're back at this, there is one game that got my attention immediatly: Bucky O'Hare.

It is not impressive in a "distortion" or "3D" kinda way, wich is what usually gets more attention. The game is a platformer, (my favorite kind of game!) and applies a lot of little effects to make the NES look less lame when compared to the 16-bit consoles of the time.

The ice level has a nice layer of water that moves, and what's below it has a darker tone, simulating dark water. And if that's not enough, there are some sprites (frozen chunks?) floating by to increase the effect of transparency.

The game does a lot of parallax scrolling and simulates layers by animating background tiles. It combines parallax with sprites so you think huge moving objects can overlap. It has some huge background animations, that you don't usually see on the NES, as it is so slow to update the BG.

I can't even remember half of the cool stuff present in that game. Just run the game and don't even play, watch the demos first. I was amazed. That game is a serious competition to 16 bit games.

And it is not only pretty to look at. As a platformer fan I found that very amusing too. Each level has a unique gameplay, the bosses (the ones I saw) are nice too. You can change characters during the level, characters who have different abilities.

It easily bacame one of my favorite NES games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:35 am 

Yeah, such effects are interesting.
However, the games looks absolutly impossible to beat even the stage supposed to be the easiest, that I can beat only with using a lot of savestates, and bossbattles looks impossible at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:14 am 

Yeah, I could beat levels only by using savestates too. The first boss battle (the guy with the huge rocks) is easy, but the one in the blue planet (aligator with missiles) is just impossible to beat before hitting the spiky ceiling.

I guess I'd be a little frustrated if playing it without the aid of savestates. Still seems to be a really cool game, though. There are some good walkthroughs for it at gamefaqs.com.