It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: NES Cartridge Combos
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:56 am 

Just wondering, I have searched a few sites.
www.google.com
www.nesworld.com
www.nescity.com (taken offline)

But I was wanting to know if anyone had any technical advice or websites relating to creating multiple ROMs into ONE single Cartridge for the N.E.S.
I also wonder, If I download NES ROMs from a particular website, how could I copy the "code" into a particular cartridge and make the game play more than one game?

Id like to add the fallowing:

1. Faxanadu (English by HudsonSoft)
2: Castlevania 1,2,&3 (Capcom?)
3: Excitebike

Any advice would be most helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:28 pm 

You can only put games that use the same mapper and games that use trivial mappers (e.g. NROM) in the same cart. You'll want to somehow add a second mapper that controls the upper address lines while the cart's own mapper controls the lower address lines.

And have you considered developing your own NES software too?

Post subject: NES Software?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:28 am 

Im not one to brag but just recentley I had a roommate move out on me and my playstation2 was stolen with over 30 games. After he moved out I was going through some of the garbage he was so kind enough to leave behind and found an N.E.S., It didnt have the AC Adapter, nor did it have any controllers nor did it have the UHF/VHF connector(whatever its called) But I had a box full of some old games(I had them in my attic, they were so negelected :cry: )

So I stoled it from him. One mans trash is anothers treasure.

I have the old school paddles and one which is rather large and has the arcade joystick, and big red buttons. I took the big controller apart due to it being as dirty as it was to attempt to clean it. A friend I know who works at a local electronic store had given me a few ideas to recreate the "Arcade feel" of the old TenGen games. Im currently developing a NES/SNES Emulator for Linux & Windows platforms, I will post my website URL in my profile once the CSS & XHTML is cmplete, I just need to think of a good layout.

Thank you for your kind reply, I didnt want to sound like a twit, I knew it would be a tad more complicated than a simple "Cut & Paste" operation if you know what I mean.

tepples wrote:
You can only put games that use the same mapper and games that use trivial mappers (e.g. NROM) in the same cart. You'll want to somehow add a second mapper that controls the upper address lines while the cart's own mapper controls the lower address lines.

And have you considered developing your own NES software too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:47 am 
Site Admin

Maybe one easy way would be to use a larger ROM, and hook the upper address lines to a dip switch. That way you could run several games that use the same board and hardware. I think the games you listed all use different boards though.

Otherwise you'll have to code a menu and hack the games, is that what you were planning on doing already?

Post subject: Hacking Games
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:15 am 

In a matter of context of way or saying such, yes. I wanted to know if I downloaded some ROMs from a website where you can play them in a emulator such as FCE Ultra, if I could find a way of putting them all into one NES Cart. either this or just recreate Faxanadu by Hudsonsoft, its an old school favorite of mine and i was wanting to recreate it and perhaps make a better version.

So yea, id "hack" it, but I have no idea where to start.

Memblers wrote:
Maybe one easy way would be to use a larger ROM, and hook the upper address lines to a dip switch. That way you could run several games that use the same board and hardware. I think the games you listed all use different boards though.

Otherwise you'll have to code a menu and hack the games, is that what you were planning on doing already?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:42 am 
Site Admin

Find a cart that has the same board as it.

http://www.parodius.com/~veilleux/boardtable.txt
http://www.parodius.com/~veilleux/boardnames

Then burn (or have someone burn for you) an EPROM with the code on it. The board will need to be rewired like the docs in the 'cart hardware' section of this site show.

As for hacking the game to change stuff in it, if there's not any tools like a level editor already you'll have to reverse-engineer it. By disassembling the code in the ROM and seeing how it works.

For hacking a game to put several one on cart, if they use different cart hardware it's probably cheaper/easier to buy the games individually (unless you have tons of free time). Some games would be impossible to hack that way, the hardware on various carts can be vastly different.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:56 am 

If you have several games that use the same board hardware and are the same ROM size, you can put them on one pair of EPROM chips and use switches to control the upper address lines in order to select a game upon power-up.