Wanted: Programmer/Hacker for Hire

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Wanted: Programmer/Hacker for Hire

Post by 2600 »

It seems I've found myself in need of hiring someone from here again. I hired someone from nesdev last year and had a few successful jobs with them. Now I have another task that I'd like done. Last job was per hour, but I was thinking of just doing a flat fee on this one. If you are interested, please PM me for details as I would like all details kept private atm.

Also, If I posted in the wrong forum or these posts are not allowed here please let me know.

Post by 2600 »

I've had little interest in this here and am open to suggestions if I should look elsewhere. I don't believe the job is particularly easy and that's why I wanted to try here as I find the people here more familiar with the system. Right now I'm offering a flat fee of $100 if interested.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I didn't show any interest because of how little info was given. Since $100 is a pretty low fee for a programming job, I know I'd be more interested if you revealed something about the project itself rather than how much you are willing to pay.

I guess that what I mean is that the nature of the project might be more interesting than the money. Does it really have to be 100% secret?

Post by 2600 »

Sorry, I didn't realize $100 was so low. I based that purely on the fee I paid for the last job I hired for, where the person here set the fee, and just doubled what I believe I ended up paying. I'm flexible on the fee as I don't know how long the actual project would take. If it takes an hour, $100 seems pretty good, but if it takes the person a long time I feel they should be compensated for that as well.

I have no problem discussing 100% of the details over PM with anyone, but would like to keep it to PM and would appreciate it if everyone I talk to does the same.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

2600 wrote:Sorry, I didn't realize $100 was so low.
I assumed a moderately complex project that would take several days to finish, if that was the case the pay would be low, but since I don't know anything about the project I can't say that.

But what I meant was basically that $100 is not such a big amount in absolute terms, so how interesting the project itself is could be more of an incentive than the money, that's why I asked if you couldn't share anything.
If it takes an hour, $100 seems pretty good, but if it takes the person a long time I feel they should be compensated for that as well.
Well, if it's something simple to the point of taking under a day's work than $100 is pretty good.
I have no problem discussing 100% of the details over PM with anyone, but would like to keep it to PM and would appreciate it if everyone I talk to does the same.
I understand that.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Tokumaru has a point - as long as nobody knowns what is the project - what you are asking, why should someone be paid and the method of payment, there is few interest to have.

There has been a few people coming here and asking for a programmer and promise to pay him saying their project is super secret.... but as far I know none of them were serious. I can remember this has happened at least 2 times, possibly more, in the past. If you think a pay make the project look more serious you're wrong - having at least some info about the project definitely make it sounds more serious to me.

I'm currently onto a HUGE romhacking project and I'm really investing time on it. I've been working I guess more than fulltime for 2 weeks on it and I'm still about 2/3 of the project... Of course I gain nothing but if I was paid per hour it would be great... but of course for it being a non-lucrative hack this don't make any sense.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
blargg

Post by blargg »

Bregalad wrote:Tokumaru has a point - as long as nobody knowns what is the project - what you are asking, why should someone be paid and the method of payment, there is few interest to have.
Anybody can know about the project, as mentioned in the first message:
2600 wrote:If you are interested, please PM me for details as I would like all details kept private atm.

Post by 2600 »

Bregalad wrote:Tokumaru has a point - as long as nobody knowns what is the project - what you are asking, why should someone be paid and the method of payment, there is few interest to have.

There has been a few people coming here and asking for a programmer and promise to pay him saying their project is super secret.... but as far I know none of them were serious. I can remember this has happened at least 2 times, possibly more, in the past. If you think a pay make the project look more serious you're wrong - having at least some info about the project definitely make it sounds more serious to me.

I'm currently onto a HUGE romhacking project and I'm really investing time on it. I've been working I guess more than fulltime for 2 weeks on it and I'm still about 2/3 of the project... Of course I gain nothing but if I was paid per hour it would be great... but of course for it being a non-lucrative hack this don't make any sense.
I see your points and would like to counter. The people who came here asking for a programmer like you mention all had 1 post. I know I don't post a lot and have only been registered for a few years, but it's more then 1 post. Second, I posted last year looking to hire someone for a job. I hired a person for that job and then hired them for a second job. I can't offer you pay slips as proof, but someone has been successfully hired here for a job.

I offered money to make it look more serious as I expect the person to take the job a bit more serious, ie sorting out and discussing details, keeping me up to date, follow some sort of timeline, etc. I'm not saying 9-5, but just communication and common courtesy like I can't start for a month, asking if I want it like this or like that, etc like you would for a paid position.

I didn't think the secret thing would be as big of deal because I noticed some people here doing that as part of their own projects, but it must of hit a nerve as more then a few have mentioned it. You can PM me to discuss more, but here are a few details as suggested to me via PM. I am looking to hire someone to modify an existing game. Familiarity with debugging tools is most likely required. I don't have all the details of what needs to be done or I would of done it myself, but here is what I think needs to be done. The gameplay routine should probably be unaffected and just some modification of startup routines and memory checks. I don't think it is a particularly large job.

I'm open to discuss any details via PM so feel free to PM me.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

Is this anything like when that guy hacked Chrono Trigger to propose to his girlfriend?
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!

Post by 2600 »

Dwedit wrote:Is this anything like when that guy hacked Chrono Trigger to propose to his girlfriend?
I wish it was that easy. It's more difficult then that and a lot cooler at least to me. It's not a graphic hack or anything like that if that helps.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Just to make it clear, I never doubted you were serious about this.

I just wrote to be sure there wasn't a way for you to give a spoiler-free description of the project.

You know, if someone was paying $2000 for a programming job, everyone would be jumping on it without even caring what the job actually is, but since the pay is not that high (and I'm not saying it's low either, it might be perfectly acceptable depending on the type of work that needs to be done), an idea of what the project is about could get people more interested.

Well, I guess I'm sending a PM because I'm a very curious guy! =)
tepples

Post by tepples »

The last time I asked about one of these jobs, it was to write code allowing a commercial NES game to be translated into a right-to-left language using a joined-up script. If the offer appears low, it might be because some Middle Eastern countries' currency doesn't buy a lot of United States dollars.

Post by 2600 »

tepples wrote:The last time I asked about one of these jobs, it was to write code allowing a commercial NES game to be translated into a right-to-left language using a joined-up script. If the offer appears low, it might be because some Middle Eastern countries' currency doesn't buy a lot of United States dollars.
I'm in the US so that doesn't seem to apply here. I'm more then willing to do $/hr again if anyone feels that payment is unfair. It worked well last time, but I thought a flat fee may of been better. So far, no one has said it is unfair after PMing for a description of the job.
mic_

Post by mic_ »

If it's reasonable to expect the job to be done with <= 1 day's work (8 hours) then I think $100 would be entirely fair.
I'm sure there are some people here who can write what you had in mind. It's just a matter of getting them interested (and money may not be the driving factor there). Good luck with the hunt anyway.