It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: Pirate Multicarts??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:08 am 

How do pirate multicarts make 'n' games on a single cart work?

To give a few examples:
(1)"6 in 1" where smb1, smb2, smb3 and smb lost levels are all present on the same cart.
(2) 64 in 1
(3) 31 in 1 etc.

Is it possible to have a multicart with games that use different MMCs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:12 am 

- They use high amount of ROM that is cheap because it's made of glob-tops and produced in China (or a similar country) (as opposed to legit carts with were all made in Japan).
- Usually a lot of the games are in fact identical so they usually cheat on the number in 1. Do you really think that famout 99999999 in 1 card actually had 9999999 games ?
- All the games are hacked to use a pirate mapper and somtimes have hacked title screen and graphics. I think there is some pirate MMC3 which are pretty close to the original MMC3 though.

Post subject: Re: Pirate Multicarts??
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:25 am 

Nadia wrote:

They hack the games so that they can live with each other in a cart that has a pirate mapper.

Quote:

Yeah, if some mappers are subsets of others. I mean, you can easily hack an UNROM game to work with an MMC3 because the MMC3 has enough features to "emulate" UNROM bankswitching.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:34 am 

tokumaru wrote:
Nadia wrote:

They hack the games so that they can live with each other in a cart that has a pirate mapper.

Quote:

Yeah, if some mappers are subsets of others. I mean, you can easily hack an UNROM game to work with an MMC3 because the MMC3 has enough features to "emulate" UNROM bankswitching.

Is there 1 MMC which can be termed as the "superset" MMC of all MMCs?

Anways, is there a way to buy MMCs from somewhere? I mean MMCs were company/game specific in the initial days and they were not means to be sold to others. right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:52 am 

The MMC5 is the superset MMC. However, some 3rd party mappers have abilities that the MMC5 lacks and vice-versa.

No only Nintendo made MMCs (more precisely Sharp or Rohm made them for Nintendo) they are not available for sale.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:17 pm 

Nadia wrote:

To give a few examples:
(1)"6 in 1" where smb1, smb2, smb3 and smb lost levels are all present on the same cart.
(2) 64 in 1
(3) 31 in 1 etc.

I'm not 100% certain for the more complex carts, but the oldest multicarts, such as the 52-in-1 use game ROMs that are all MMC1 or Mapper-0.

In your example, the SMB/SMB2J/SMB2USA/SMB3 cart, the firat two ROMs are Mapper-0, and the latter are probably both MMC3 (with the SMB2USA likely converted to MMC3), all likely running on a R-E'd copy of the MMC3 mapper.

Somebody feel free to correct me, but I think that a Mapper-0 ROM will, or can easily be made to run on an MMC3 board, this making the series on one cart possible.

Newer games with chips like the Mapper-90 emulate a variety of mappers and can run a lot of games, but are a b*tch to reverse-engineer. (I only know of one man that has ever done so...)

If you are looking to make a multicart, there are existing tools to create a Mapper-0 cart, or you could work with the 52-Games ROM and menus to see how it all works.

-Xious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:37 am 

Xious wrote:
Somebody feel free to correct me, but I think that a Mapper-0 ROM will, or can easily be made to run on an MMC3 board, this making the series on one cart possible.

Running an NROM game on an MMC3 board takes two things. First, the menu just has to write all mapper registers to set up CHR banks 0, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7, and PRG banks 0 and 1. Then, because MMC3 doesn't support switching $E000, multiple games on one MMC3 cartridge still need a second mapper to switch which super-bank (in the SUROM sense) is visible.