It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:57 pm 

Hello, I am doing the Magickit's NESASM to help convert SMBDIS to NESASM, to make a PCE version of SMB!

I almost got everything good and set for the NES version, the only thing preventing me is POINTERS that are using < and >, I wonder how I can bypass these without using hex values for pointers?

EDIT: If anyone made a better assembler that is compatible with ASM6/CA65, yet uses PC-Engine's HuC6280, which is a 65CS02 Variant, Post it here

(and Do NOT Say WLA-DX)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:13 pm 

Hamtaro126 wrote:
the only thing preventing me is POINTERS that are using < and >, I wonder how I can bypass these without using hex values for pointers?

LOW() and HIGH()?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:58 pm 

Will try that, Thank you again Tokumaru!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:17 am 

Code:
    lda      #(label%256)
    sta      pointerLo
    lda      #(label/256)
    sta      pointerHi

Quote:
(and Do NOT Say WLA-DX)

If PCEAS is just like NESASM, except for supporting the extra instructions of the HuC6280, then WLA-DX is a better assembler. Whether it's easier to use is a different matter..

Btw: SMB on PC-E. Dunno what the hell they did with the music. I guess they didn't have proper info on how the NES APU works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:14 am 

I'm not sure, but I think the video was taken from the European (pirate) compilation PCE ROM. One problem with that conversion was that they're using a 50Hz PAL ROM, so the speed of the game (including the music) would be too fast. (AFAIK there was never a "50Hz" PAL PCE. The European TG16s were the same but included some circuit to convert the output signal to PAL50, so that games need not be reprogrammed for the PAL regions.)

For FC-PCE conversions, Tom had already done some awesome works on it (including SMB of course) and Rockman indeed played great!

Edit: The great thing is, he's included the sources and they're very educational. The way he mapped scratchpad RAM to both MPR 0 and 1 amazed me (I was wondering how he solved that Zero/Stack pages relocation problem without extensive patching before looking at the sources.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:05 am 

Quote:
I'm not sure, but I think the video was taken from the European (pirate) compilation PCE ROM. One problem with that conversion was that they're using a 50Hz PAL ROM, so the speed of the game (including the music) would be too fast.

Well, the tempo is obviously too high. But I was referring mainly to the waveforms they used. (At least) one of the channels sounds completely wrong.

Quote:
For FC-PCE conversions,Tom had already done some awesome works on it (including SMB of course) and Rockman indeed played great!

Yup, he's done some really cool ports.

Quote:
The way he mapped scratchpad RAM to both MPR 0 and 1 amazed me.

The NSF player I wrote for the Turbografx maps MPR 0, 1, 2 and 3 to the WorkRAM so that the NSF playback code can access ZP RAM, normal RAM, SRAM and the NES APU I/O regs all at once. There are a few songs for which this causes problems, so the best thing is to have a console/cart with BRAM and map MPR 2 to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:52 am 

mic_ wrote:
Code:
    lda      #(label%256)
    sta      pointerLo
    lda      #(label/256)
    sta      pointerHi

Will also try this.

mic_ wrote:
If PCEAS is just like NESASM, except for supporting the extra instructions of the HuC6280, then WLA-DX is a better assembler. Whether it's easier to use is a different matter.

WLA DX is not that easy. Examples are differences in Syntax, You'd have to redo everything to make it work,

Examples are the .B/.W for opcodes, The linker is also what put most of us off, according to most members living with CA65/ASM6 syntax.

EDIT: LDY Labelname,x does not work, whereas in other assemblers, work fine, I have to substitute it with a .DB!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:46 pm 

mic_ wrote:
The NSF player I wrote for the Turbografx maps MPR 0, 1, 2 and 3 to the WorkRAM so that the NSF playback code can access ZP RAM, normal RAM, SRAM and the NES APU I/O regs all at once. There are a few songs for which this causes problems, so the best thing is to have a console/cart with BRAM and map MPR 2 to it.

BRAM needs to be accessed in slow cpu mode, else you run the chance of corrupt data. The fastest SRAM chip I've seen used for BRAM was 150ns (of the systems I've taken apart). Others are slower. But even at 150ns, you're pushing your luck. Populous is the only game hucard that has extra ram (32k sram). But that limits you to 4megabit rom on the flash card (mednafen doesn't care and will map rom after the SRAM address).

Quote:
If PCEAS is just like NESASM, except for supporting the extra instructions of the HuC6280, then WLA-DX is a better assembler. Whether it's easier to use is a different matter.

There are a number of things that PCEAS does better than WLA-DX, but it's been so long that I don't remember what they were. But it was a significant difference for me to switch back to PCEAS. MooZ also switched over from WLA-DX after running into a number of problems where he couldn't replicate that of PCEAS for special code setups.

Hamtaro126: Are you working with a table of pointers? Or just working with both? Low() and high() work fine, it's a pain if you have to type that out in tables. I modified PCEAS for .dbl and .dbh directives specifically for this, but it's not an official release.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:18 pm 

tomaitheous wrote:
Hamtaro126: Are you working with a table of pointers? Or just working with both? Low() and high() work fine, it's a pain if you have to type that out in tables. I modified PCEAS for .dbl and .dbh directives specifically for this, but it's not an official release.

Yes, It uses < and > for pointers!

Can you give me both Binaries and Source? I'd like to replace my current version of PCEAS with that,

I might also add the DBL and DBH support to my NESASM!

Can I release them in my releases? The source packs are gonna be enhanced along the line.

My plan was to extend it with JJ and Jeff (or Ken Chan and Kato Chan) Music, But Midis are not happening, so PCE conversion seems to be an answer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:11 am 

Ok, here are the links (use them at your own risk):

http://www.pcedev.net/pceas/bin/pceas_w32_07_10_2011.7z (binary)
http://www.pcedev.net/pceas/src/PCEAS_src_07_10_2011.7z (source)

Also, I didn't fix all the bugs in PCEAS. There's a bug with .DATA define. But just ignore it and don't use .DATA. It's a useless directive in PCEAS because you can include data (binary) anywhere inside of '.code" areas. Just start off with .code in your main asm file and be done with it. The only time you would need to define .code again, is if you used .ZP or .BSS or (and I think .RS is ok) since they have their own bank and counter define. I.e. if you have a library file with its defined variables using those directives, make sure to use .code afterwards in that file you're including.

I included an asm source file in the binary build to explain some of the new changes. Read the text comments.