TapeDump v1.0 - a tool to dump carts without extra hardware

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

jpx72

Post by jpx72 »

Is it possible to figure out the mapper or a group of mappers that may be used on this pirate Rockman 1-6 cartridge?
I would really like to dump it using your TapeDump (I have no other dumper), but I don't have an idea what mapper to use. Since it's not supported yet, this is also a big plead for adding support for this cart.... I know it's probably not possible without knowing the mapper, but maybe dumping under different mapper and then reverse-engineer the file to find out the mapper may be the way... I have the TapeDump on cart and time to dump it.
thefox

Post by thefox »

Try dumping it using NROM, this should get you the menu code which should be possible to reverse engineer to figure out how it's selecting the games.
Guyver2011

Post by Guyver2011 »

Hello! I need help! I have two questions.

1. What program better to use for writing sound? (link)
2. Kcs.exe

Help me to write bat file. I have a file 1.wav - what parameters need write in bat file?

Kcs.exe 1.wav and .............. ???

The Program is written for dos. I can not full-fledged its use.

Or possible start it from command line? That there to write? what parameters?

P.S. Forgive for my bad english.
My Email: veroh@yandexDOTru
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

1) Audacity is a good, free program. Perhaps other people can recommend some other, better, commercial programs. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

2) What type of computer OS are you using? Usually in Windows, RUNning a program and then typing "CMD" (full shell) or "COMMAND" (old DOS shell) works. If you have no choice (?) but making a BAT file, then the usage is:

Code: Select all

KCS [options] infile[.typ] [outfile[.typ]]

-X    strict decoding             -M    make wavefile
-C    console output              -O    odd parity
-Bn   baud  1=600 2=1200          -E    even parity
-U    CUTS mode (1200 baud)       -D    7 data bits
-V    VOC wavefile                -S    1 stop bit
-R    RAW wavefile                -Ln   leader (sec)
-Fn   offset  -127 to 127         -Pn   pacing (msec)
-Hn   hysteresis  0 to 127        -T    sine tone
-Gn   timing  -2 to 2             -I    invert output
-Nn   nulls (after CR if n<0)     -Y    ignore errors

default: decode WAV file, Kansas City Standard,
         300 baud, 8 data, 2 stop bits, no parity

eg:

KCS -B2 -G2 -F10 96000.wav game.nes
tepples

Post by tepples »

Programs compiled for MS-DOS can be run in the Command Prompt of 32-bit Windows. They cannot be run at all in the Command Prompt of 64-bit Windows without some sort of virtualization, which Microsoft unfortunately does not provide out of the box on Windows Vista or home editions of Windows 7. But both versions of Windows can run command-line Windows programs, and a DOS program might also be available compiled for Windows.
thefox

Post by thefox »

I used DOSBox to run it on 64-bit Win7.
Download STREEMERZ for NES from fauxgame.com! — Some other stuff I've done: fo.aspekt.fi
Guyver2011

Post by Guyver2011 »

Thank you for advices, guys. Like all work but I faced several problems:

1. Cartridge wrote themselves! (for test). Possible so do? I choose mapper 0 and "orange" bps. But I can not recall, I dump only PRG or something else, but this not it is important...

2. Here is my recorded file: http://zalil.ru/32095830

This file - *.wma and stereo, my computer does not want to save the audio file in the other type. Shall Try to find the program for this...

I have tried wma transform to wav (8 bit mono), but... Result always alike - I get Rom NES 1 or 0 bites.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Guyver2011 wrote:This file - *.wma and stereo, my computer does not want to save the audio file in the other type.
That's the problem. The WMA encoder is not designed for modems like the software modem implemented by this dumping program. It assumes that a human will be listening to the recording and discards information that it thinks won't have a negative effect on perceived sound quality.
Shall Try to find the program for this
The other program is called Audacity.
Guyver2011

Post by Guyver2011 »

OK... Shall Try to write immediately wav...

Please, give me anyone correct wav file for example, that I could his check and get code from wav file.
Guyver2011

Post by Guyver2011 »

Yes! I do it! But I took the sound a stereo, since mono was not work... 22050 8 bit stereo.

Wrote sound by means of utilities sndrec32.exe (windows/sistem32) XP.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

We're telling you: Download Audacity. Sound Recorder has a recording limit of 1 minute, making cartridge dumps impossible.
Guyver2011

Post by Guyver2011 »

No. I have unlimited version :о) I modified program

http://s017.radikal.ru/i406/1111/c1/5732d6bda329.png

I want to find optimum parameters. If I write the sound 5 once, that whole 1 once from he is "good". Shall Try to do the speed less "orange".

Rom which I have dump: http://zalil.ru/32100921
(pirate Road Fighter)

I have understood that better to write on speed 1200bps.

ccovell, you plan the improvement of the program? New mappers or something else? I have a cartriges 1000in1, 999999in1, 35in1 and so on... There get the interesting hacks. What mapper can be beside like cartriges? What pull out part of games of them at least? I was able to write only menu these carrtiges.
Last edited by Guyver2011 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great Hierophant

Post by Great Hierophant »

How hard would this be to make into a pass-through device like a Game Genie? It sounds like it would solve the issue of having to swap carts without having to build something big (perhaps even just a ROM swap?)
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I think Loopy, blaarg, or someone else had something going about a Game Genie BIOS replacement ROM. It should be possible to preserve both Game Genie function as well as add TapeDump functionality to Game Genies.
jpx72

Post by jpx72 »

thefox wrote:Try dumping it using NROM, this should get you the menu code which should be possible to reverse engineer to figure out how it's selecting the games.
Thanks for the tip, I have recorded the dump as 44100Hz Mono WAV (audacity) with 1200bps setting in TapeDump (pressing Start) but when using KCS (kcs.exe -B2 file.wav file.nes) I'm always getting message "Bad pattern at position 46955". What can be wrong? I have tried to lower the recording volume because the amp meter was out of range, but still same result (different position number).

What am I doing wrong? Using command line in Win7. Wav file is 35MB. When using -Y (ignore errors) I get "15401 bytes decoded, 2173 decode errors" and output is a 16kB file which is only garbage, no iNes header.

PS When dumping the cartridge mentioned above, I'm getting sound from Famicom for some 6:35 minutes, then sound stops. That can't be the whole cart, it has all the Rockman games on it.