PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:43 pm 
I Am Making a Platformer on either CA65 or/and X816

And I Need help

Can you Make me some Demo\Example code on how
to do this? If Yes, I will continue making a full-pledge
game!

Current project: Super Mario World NES Remake/Recode
(And No, It is going to be A REAL Emulation of SMW,
And it is not going to be like the pirated version!)

-Hamtaro126

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:54 pm 

So that we can appropriately gauge your skill level, which NES programs have you made before?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:58 pm 

What do you mean by send you some code on how to do this? Like, have someone write code for you? do you know the 6502? or nesdev? this is possible to do on your own if you know how. Do you know how? I've seen you post here alot, so it seems like you do... So what are you asking? If you are asking for someone to write your engine, that's a little backwards, because usually the leader of projects is the main programmer. I'm sorry, I may be getting you all wrong. What are you really asking?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:04 pm 

Celius wrote:
usually the leader of projects is the main programmer.

Unless the producer is trained as an artist, which is the case in projects that Mr. Miyamoto manages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:16 pm 
tepples wrote:
So that we can appropriately gauge your skill level, which NES programs have you made before?

I made nothing yet! But i got enouth utilities,

And I can make the engine, since I found the collision
and movement data in a old thread!

Yes, i can convert SNES graphics to NES
properly, my way to doing this is to Use a
ROM of SMW! (Yes, i own the ORIGINAL
Cartridge!! Seriously!) and Extract from
Savestates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:42 pm 

You've made nothing yet? Do not make the same mistake I did. Do not come barreling in to NESdev. Have you any experience in game programming at all? You do know the 6502? Make tech demos before commencing this project. What I suggest is making tech demos for every element of the game. Make a tech demo for the level design, make one for collision detection, etc. State your real status in programming. When I came here, I didn't even know like anything about programming. So there's no need to feel dumb. I was asking how to scroll when I came here, and I didn't even know the 6502.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:50 am 
Site Admin

There will be a lot more data than code, do you have a way to edit the levels and maps? If you have all the needed tools and at least some of the data organized, you shouldn't have much trouble attracting a coder to the project, heheh.

The code couldn't be too bad, not real simple, but mostly doable on NES. Some stuff would probably need to be changed to keep any slow-down out of the game. Keeping in mind the SNES CPU runs 1.5 times faster than NES (besides the 16-bit stuff) and the NES CPU will also have to handle the sound engine.

For showing how to write a platform game, the Programming MC Kids article is pretty nice. MC Kids is fairly similar to SMW also.
http://greggman.com/mckids/programming_mc_kids.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:11 am 

First, try making your own SMW editor for PC.
Then try remaking SMW for PC, which uses the Super NES ROM as a datafile.
Only then will you be ready to start making SMW for NES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:37 pm 

One thing that bothered me when I entered NESdev is that I guess I was supposed to know C, or C++. I still only have half mastered C, and I'm doing just fine with NESdev. What if what's-his/her-toes doesn't know C/C++? I think she/he can do fine with just 6502, and doesn't exactly NEED to make a SMW clone run on a PC. Was that what you even meant? Like a C/C++ recode of SMW? I will not continue rambling until I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:37 pm 

The idea is that one's (possibly inflated) sense of one's skill will be tempered by the experience of trying to code the game on a platform where efficiency and memory usage restrictions are almost non-existent. To make a game of this type also requires level editor tools, which pretty much must be done on a PC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:50 pm 

I'll concur with blargg: The point of the PC-side exercises is that making a level editor and replayer will force you to become intimately familiar with the workings of the SMW engine, and the PC's "OMG 3 GHz" brute force will let you concentrate on understanding without running into efficiency barriers.

But no, Celius, the PC-side exercises don't have to be in C++. They can be in Python or Delphi or Java or Lisp or whatever floats your e-boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:38 am 
Site Admin

tepples wrote:
They can be in Python or Delphi or Java or Lisp or whatever floats your e-boat.

Yep, for me I'd pick 6502 assembly since that's what I know best, heheh. And it's the target platform anyways. With emulators you can always add more RAM banks and clock the CPU faster if it's needed.

I guess the trick is to keep the experimental code seperate from the actual game code (as it comes together). That's what screwed me up in my early game projects, as soon as weird half-working (or just unfinished) code starts getting left in there the program slowly starts going to hell, heheh.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:13 am 
I Should try Open TUME, But it only EXPORTS to SNES and SEGA!
Defenetly NOT nes! Tell Gregg! The creator of Mckids! He used to
have TUME's MCkids Tools! (NES Tools) But he left them in L.A.
and he is currently working in SEGA of Japan and maybe never
coming BACK!

NOTE: READ THE WHOLE THING PLEASE.

Thanks,

-hamtaro126

PS: I might try FREEBASIC or DELPHI to code
something
(Or something more FREE? I dont want any MINGW
Because -1-: I could not make it properly! -2-: It
has a LOT of GIANT sized files that could not make
it on my computer! ALSO: I Cannot REGISTER! [MONEY!])
and I MIGHT use DB statements to make maps!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:46 pm 

Well, once you come up with a format, you will want to use DB statements, or incbin a data file that you make by hand with a hex editor. Maybe DB statements would be best. That's what I do when I come up with formats, I do a DB statement, and see if my format works. Then I say, "Cool! I want to make a level editor! Crap! I don't know C completely! Or ANY C++ besides the cout statement! And Qbasic is easy to learn, but I don't have time! I'm pissed!". But that's what I'd suggest. Come up with a format, test it, make sure it works, and make a level editor that will make a binary file that'll use your format, and you'll be able to incbin it into your code. If you make a level editor, remember, it doesn't have to be user friendly! This is nice! Other people won't be using your level editor, hopefully. If they are, then you'd have to make it user friendly. But I'm going to stop talking, cause I have to go.

EDIT: Oh by the way, if you use anything DOS related, I'd suggest QBASIC. It's really well, basic, but it's good for making cheap level editors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:12 am 

DO NOT USE DOS PROGRAMS. You have more memory than dos supports. At least use freebasic.

I'm just speaking because I've been badly burned from qbasic. One time, I misused poke and overwrote my program in memory, another time I hit the maximum code size wall, and couldn't add any more code, or even run or save the file. Even though I'm a former qbasic fanatic, the Zelda 2 editor was way too much for it to handle.