It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: MMC1 powerup question
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:50 am 

In the Wiki page for the MMC1 it states:

1 - Bank $C000-$FFFF is fixed to the last 16KB of PRG ROM, while $8000-$BFFF is swappable via Register 3. (power-on default)

However I pulled a mmc1b2 off a zelda cart and attached it to my parralel port. When i pull A14 and low it addresses the last 16K page in rom and When I pull A14 high it addresses the first 16K page. Is the info in the wiki a typo or is there something that I'm overlooking? perhaps It suppose to say

1 - Bank $C000-$FFFF is fixed to the FIRST 16KB of PRG ROM, while $8000-$BFFF is swappable via Register 3. (power-on default)

I am working on reverse engineering this chip and want to make sure it's accurate.

Thanks Zack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:18 am 

Sure, it's the last 16kb PRG bank that is switched by default. It's that bank that contain Reset vectors and stuff, and if it isn't swapped at $c000-$ffff at reset, all MMC1 games will never work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:47 am 

Powerup states are not 100% certain, though I believe the later MMC1 revisions are a bit more consistent. In any case, writing to any address with the 'reset' bit (D7) set will reset the PRG banking layout to what you just described - $8000-$BFFF swappable via Register 3 and $C000-$FFFF fixed to the last 16KB of ROM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:04 am 

I did some MMC1 tests with my stop-n-swop method and concluded that at power-up, register 0 was set to $0F and the rest had random values, and that writing $80 to any port sets bits 2 and 3 of register 0 but doesn't affect anything else.

I got some weird results with Bionic Commando and a few others, where setting register 3, bit 4 appeared to map bank 7 into $C000-$FFFF (thought it could be an error on my part). I haven't done any testing recently so I'm going by my notes here.