Now using Neotoxin Source code! (SMW)

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

Hamtaro126

Now using Neotoxin Source code! (SMW)

Post by Hamtaro126 »

I looked around the fourms, And i found Platformer source!
So, Now using Neotoxin Source code! i can make
Super mario world for the NES!

Now if only Snowbro (or something) Can give me his tools

Now if anyone does not know about this, here is what
Snowbro said:

(Quote: Snowbro)
I have made a number of tools to create levels, encode text, assemble game logic scripts etc., but it takes some effort to package it and document it properly, so I'll hold off releasing it until someone asks.

If snowbro is still here, i like to see him give me his ''Tools''!

Thanks

-hamtaro126
Bregalad

Re: Now using Neotoxin Source code! (SMW)

Post by Bregalad »

Hamtaro126 wrote:If snowbro is still here, i like to see him give me his ''Tools''!

Thanks

-hamtaro126
They're currently unusable because of lack of documentation and because everything isn't fine yet.
Useless, lumbering half-wits don't scare us.
Zepper
Formerly Fx3

Post by Zepper »

Yes... I had think to port MegaManX to NES too... :D
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Fx3 wrote:Yes... I had think to port MegaManX to NES too... :D
I wanted to do that too! Even drew/converted a few GFX...
I'm working on a (somewhat) port of Sonic now... They're all platformers though!
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Fx3 wrote:Yes... I had think to port MegaManX to NES too... :D
I trough there already was a try (Rocman X (Unl).nes). Note that they spell Rocman wrong, which is actually Rockman. But it sucked if I remember right.
Isn't Megaman X on SNES just fine ? I prefer the NES megaman games myself.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

As everyone should know by now, a low-quality pirate version of Super Mario World has already been produced for the NES. I hear rumors of a finished version extracted from a multicart as well as the usual half-finished version.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
hamtaro126

HA!!!

Post by hamtaro126 »

Dwedit wrote:As everyone should know by now, a low-quality pirate version of Super Mario World has already been produced for the NES. I hear rumors of a finished version extracted from a multicart as well as the usual half-finished version.
This is why I want to do this project!
This does NOT feature:

*Turn blocks turning

*Coins popping up and down

*? and Turn Blocks turning into the empty blocks!

*Info Boxes

AND:

*there is NO [!] (Exclamation) blocks

Did I say that there are no fire flowers!

-hamtaro126

P.S. And I got the full version ROM out of
NES player or something!
Quietust

Re: HA!!!

Post by Quietust »

hamtaro126 wrote:Did I say that there are no fire flowers!
No, but you'd be wrong in doing so - the SMW pirate most certainly DOES have fire flowers (though they suck rather horribly).

If I might make a suggestion, the MMC5 would be a good mapper to use for this game - while the Extended Attribute mode might not be necessary, the ability to have 8KB of (8x16) sprite tiles *and* 4KB of background tiles might prove to be advantageous, not to mention the extra 2 square wave sound channels (which could bring the music several steps closer to sounding authentic). If not the MMC5, then the VRC6 would probably work just as well (except then you'd be using a Konami mapper for a Nintendo game, which is slightly odd).
Quietust, QMT Productions
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
Celius

Post by Celius »

I'm sorry, I think I may sound like a turd, but I'd really make my own source, my own formats, and everything. I feel very very very limited when using someone elses stuff. It doesn't matter when it comes to graphics editors though. But level/music editors, that's something you should do yourself. I'm just wanted to mention that one last time. Please don't hurt me, if you angry at me for saying this like 300 times. I just really stress making EVERYTHING. Just a suggestion. Remember I made it.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

I agree 100% with celius. Another point is that is it useless to re-code 100% an existing game exept if you're apporting major changes (and if possible positive changes) to it. Scince nothing changes, anyone will still play the original game and you'll do useless work. However, if you do major change, people that are fan of the original game will be glad to play a variant of it. But Ninendo won't, scince you'll break their copyrights.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Quietust wrote:If I might make a suggestion, the MMC5 would be a good mapper to use for this game ... not to mention the extra 2 square wave sound channels (which could bring the music several steps closer to sounding authentic).
Depends. Are you porting the (J) version to the Famicom, or the (U) version to the NES? Remember that only the Famicom brought sound out to the cart edge. But the MMC5 might still be useful, as the extra swappable bank would open up more possibilities for DPCM at $C000.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

I'd have to agree with Celius too. I haven't looked at any sources, but... I don't think Neotoxin's structure will match the SMW structure very well. I think you should build everything from the ground. Changing someone else's program is a very hard thing to do if you'll be changing the whole structure. You could GET IDEAS from existing stuff though.

I'm working on a Sonic kind of game, and I'm designing my level structure/format and engine from the start. When I researched the format used for the original Sonic games I found that most of my ideas matched Sonic Team's ideas (although I had to find some tricky ways to get long levels using very little RAM). Maybe these ideas are just the logical choices for such a game.

Well, I think building your own engine will give you better control of the project, since you'll not have to live with limitations imposed by someone else. Limitations will exist, and you should live witht he ones that will not cause you much trouble.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

tepples wrote:Depends. Are you porting the (J) version to the Famicom, or the (U) version to the NES? Remember that only the Famicom brought sound out to the cart edge.
If the music is written cleverly enough, it could be made to sound "pretty good" on a USA system and "totally awesome" on a Famicom.
Bregalad

Post by Bregalad »

Quietust wrote: If the music is written cleverly enough, it could be made to sound "pretty good" on a USA system and "totally awesome" on a Famicom.
What do you exactly mean by that ? Doing reverb of two normal channels with two MMC5 channels ?
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

Bregalad wrote:
Quietust wrote: If the music is written cleverly enough, it could be made to sound "pretty good" on a USA system and "totally awesome" on a Famicom.
What do you exactly mean by that ? Doing reverb of two normal channels with two MMC5 channels ?
I mean putting the melody and some of the harmony on the base sound channels, and then putting the rest of the harmony on the two MMC5 channels. Without MMC5 it would sound decent, but with MMC5 it would sound really good.