It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:18 am 

Nintendo have a new web site at http://www.classicnesseries.com/.

Here is what I am thinking, official NES palette? Maybe, maybe not. Although we are treated to a very eye-pleasing flash demo which obviously uses 32-bit colour, there are times in which the demo actually shows the game in progress (e.g. Donkey Kong). The colours are very close to what we use already but could this help us perfect them? i.e. getting a copy of one of the games and finding out which colour is used in it's palette (Nintendo SP or DS or whatever). I know that someone already uses the Rockman palette for the PSX, and this could help us even more.

Another thought that I had was just like the CPU and PPU were revised the palette (presumably) was also revised when a new console came out. Could we argue that the final version of a NES released had a palette which Nintendo considered best and therefore best for our emulators?

P.S. Could someone please post a link to a decent NTSC palette. I have decided that Chris Covell's PAL palette from his NES faq is the one that I like best for PAL but the NTSC one that I have is hideous!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:39 am 

Would a copy of the GBA roms help?

I have them all (US and FAMICOM classic series), if you need them.

NC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:16 am 

No Carrier wrote:
Would a copy of the GBA roms help?

Most PCs have a gamma characteristic of roughly 2.2 to approximate the sRGB standard. The GBA and GBA SP LCDs, on the other hand, seem to have a gamma characteristic between 3 and 4 depending on lighting conditions. (based on my tests). Classic NES Series and most other GBA titles take this into account.

Classic NES Series palettes might help for PocketNES but not much else. If possible it'd be better to rip them from the NES emulator built into Animal Crossing for GameCube, which is designed to output to the same kind of TV that the NES output to, although not necessarily with identical dot crawl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:54 pm 

Well, nintendo just noticed that people were downloading games and stuff from their old consoles for free, so they went upset, then they realised that they were people that figured out the decay of nintendo so the're now trying to re-release stuff and to copy a lot from their old day. However, they present their old games in a ridiculous viewpoint and try to inspire gamers to buy their re-release product to earn a lot of monay. Sorry, but this make me FURIOUS. Why ? Because that page actually suck.
1 - All the best NES games, aka Megaman, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, ... aren't present. Nintendo looks sure that only the games made by nintendo could be the best of the console, wich is, very wrong
2 - They ridiculous their own game by presenting them under a stupid context
3 - They just do everyting for money, and nothing for their custommers
4 - Nintendo decays so much those last years that I cannot believe this. They'd better try to get back the innovation they had years ago rather than to attempt to re-create unstable old gamers communauty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:11 pm 

True. And another more important thing is, why pay £25/$45 for a NES game on your Gamecube/GBA when you can get a brand new modern one for the same price???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:04 pm 

Quote:
Here is what I am thinking, official NES palette?
Nintendo's palette is about as close to the real thing as Nesticle's. Also, there's no such thing as an 'official' palette; every NES graphic artist just chose colors that looked best to him on his particular consumer-grade TV. The greatest variation is in the 3x colors, because (it seems that) the video signal has levels that are illegal in NTSC there.