FDS Writing extension for TapeDump

Discuss technical or other issues relating to programming the Nintendo Entertainment System, Famicom, or compatible systems. See the NESdev wiki for more information.

Moderator: Moderators

deadbody

Re: FDS Writing extension for TapeDump

Post by deadbody »

Yes, something like that. The leader tone was reporting a 14 with TapeDump. When we get into the data it goes in the 20's and 30's. After removal of the resistor and adding a wire, TapeDump was able to gather the data thru the microphone successfully.
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

I just want to thank Chris for this excellent piece of software. It saved my copy of Legend of Zelda (by rewriting it) that had gone corrupt somehow. Sure, KCS wasn't the easiest thing in the world to get working but in my case it was worth the trouble. Saving games from the trash can is saving history!

Thanks again. :)
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Great!

When I slow down my random PCE and SMS programming, I might get back to TapeDump for a bit.
muckyfingers

Post by muckyfingers »

So I have an FDS de-protected FDS set up on the way, but I have an AV Famicom with an N8 Everdrive. I plan on making a parallel cable to overwrite my FDS games with their English translated counter parts. I seem to be missing a step, am I supposed to load the FDS tapedump via the Everdrive then hotswap the Ram adapter and FDS drive in order to write to the FDS disk?
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

Yes, hot-swapping is the idea if you only have a PowerPak/Everdrive cartridge at first. However, the first FDS disk you can write to should be the included TapeDump.fds, and from then on, you can load TapeDump straight from FDS without the need for hotswapping.
muckyfingers

Post by muckyfingers »

I finally got everything together to make and test my DTVTrans cable and it works! Thank you so much for writing this awesome piece of software. I was able to recover my Kid Icarus side B that kept giving me an "Error 22" message, it now works beautifully. I've also overwritten my Esper Dream FDS game with the English translation and will be playing that and a few other games soon.

I had to use Bat54 diodes, the cable would not work without them. I tried a couple other diodes I had laying around, but they did not work either.
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

I'm glad to hear it worked. One word of warning: if overwriting one side of a game, make sure you use the same version # as your original. Eg: Metroid has several versions, and each of them checks both the game name and version number before running / saving, etc.
muckyfingers

Post by muckyfingers »

I'll make sure to rewrite both sides just to be sure, thanks again.
muckyfingers

Post by muckyfingers »

Will you be adding dumping of FDS disks with the parallel port cable?
ccovell

Post by ccovell »

It wasn't a plan right now, since the DTV -> PC routines need more data lines... I may add faster / other protocols in the future.
muckyfingers

Post by muckyfingers »

ccovell wrote:It wasn't a plan right now, since the DTV -> PC routines need more data lines... I may add faster / other protocols in the future.
I was just curious, I'm more than happy being able to write to my disks now.