Conker's Pocket Tales Deletes Saved Data in Goomba Color

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
Jedi QuestMaster

Conker's Pocket Tales Deletes Saved Data in Goomba Color

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

Conker's Pocket Tales deletes saved data in Goomba Color upon loading the game. It even gives me a message telling me the data was deleted. What the fudge? :|
lidnariq

Re: Conker's Pocket Tales Deletes Saved Data in Goomba Color

Post by lidnariq »

FWIW, that doesn't happen in mednafen.
Jedi QuestMaster

FYI dude, the point of Goomba is so I can play on-the-go. Jabroni! 8-)

Otherwise I'd just use VisualBoy Advance with save states, IYKWIM.

G2G J/O J/K. :mrgreen:
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

You posted to GBdev what sounded like a bug report. If it's a bug in the emulator, you should report it to the bugtracker or author of the emulator. Posting it here is, well, as you said, j/o.
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I read this board too, thanks for the bug report.
Booting it in GB mode will delete the save, but I still have no clue what's going on here. Maybe turn off Auto SGB border.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Jedi QuestMaster

I would've posted this in Pocket Heaven, but that place doesn't exist anymore: http://pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/

And I didn't know if it was an issue with Goomba or the game itself.
lidnariq

Post by lidnariq »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:I didn't know if it was an issue with Goomba or the game itself.
Then why did you react so abrasively when I added information that indicated it was unlikely to be a bug in the game?
Jedi QuestMaster

lidnariq wrote:
Jedi QuestMaster wrote:I didn't know if it was an issue with Goomba or the game itself.
Then why did you react so abrasively when I added information that indicated it was unlikely to be a bug in the game?
Because I was in a bad mood, sorry. :( I also had to look up FWIW, & I accidentally clicked 'Images' & had to look at this:

http://plasmapool.50webs.com/covers/the_brood-back.jpg

And it still doesn't help me much. Did you run the game under 'Gameboy Advance' or 'Gameboy' ? The fact the game has a dedicated "your shit has been erased" screen also perplexes me. :?
mikejmoffitt

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Jedi QuestMaster wrote:I would've posted this in Pocket Heaven, but that place doesn't exist anymore: http://pocketheaven.com/ph/boards/

And I didn't know if it was an issue with Goomba or the game itself.
Oh no! Backups exist of the boards I hope, right? I miss when it was full of activity in the PocketSNES / SNESAdvance days. When did it go down?
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

I'm fairly certain that it's the Auto SGB border feature that's messing with the game. It causes the game to boot into GB mode, and runs it until it loads a SGB border, or times out. That game gives the "your save is incompatible" warning message when you switch from GBC mode to GB mode, until you press start where it deletes your save. But I thought I had included code to discard any changes to the saved game, and reload the original save just to handle this game.

Edit: just tested out the game, I see no problems at all. Is your flash cartridge not properly saving the whole 64k?

Edit: Pocketheaven has gone down several times before, and once experienced big data loss. And thanks to horrible URLS for everything (php session id in the URL), nothing got archived by archive.org.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Dwedit wrote:Pocketheaven has gone down several times before, and once experienced big data loss. And thanks to horrible URLS for everything (php session id in the URL), nothing got archived by archive.org.
Had I known that that was a problem, then I could have run my phpBB 2 scraper that doesn't care whether the URL has a session ID or not. When this board was migrating from phpBB 2 to phpBB 3 last year, I made a static copy of everything using my scraper in case the conversion didn't work out.
Jedi QuestMaster

Dwedit wrote:I'm fairly certain that it's the Auto SGB border feature that's messing with the game. It causes the game to boot into GB mode, and runs it until it loads a SGB border, or times out. That game gives the "your save is incompatible" warning message when you switch from GBC mode to GB mode, until you press start where it deletes your save. But I thought I had included code to discard any changes to the saved game, and reload the original save just to handle this game.

Edit: just tested out the game, I see no problems at all. Is your flash cartridge not properly saving the whole 64k?
All my other games save properly. By the way, it's giving me the error message again. Is there a way to keep the auto SGB feature off? Conker happens to be the first game on the list. :x