GB Flash Cart 32Mb PCB in the works

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
bazz

GB Flash Cart 32Mb PCB in the works

Post by bazz »

Hello Boys,

You may have noticed in this thread I posted about 3 GB flasher pcbs I will be ordering in approx a month ,or 2, or 3, give or take: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10230&p=114418#p114418

I also plan to create/modify a pcb from this version here:
http://wiki.ladecadence.net/doku.php?id ... _cartuchos

I plan to modify the board to be equipped with a TSOP-40 popularly available memory, instead of that not-yet-to-be-found SOP flash memory.

I also don't know what to replace that SRAM battery ic (MM134A) with, as that model is unavailable:

That's in the works. Let me know anything that can be of help
Last edited by bazz on Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
infiniteneslives

Re: GB Flash Cart 32Mb PCB in the works

Post by infiniteneslives »

Just an FYI, Laen's PCB service used to be only massively thick PCBs which probably wouldn't work well with these. He could have changed options, but I originally left him for this reason. Just want to make sure you've considered this as it would be quite the bummer to realize after you try to plug in a fully populated board and all.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
bazz

Post by bazz »

his current boards are 1.6mm thick (0.063 inches) with 1 ounce copper on both sides

Do you know the suitable thickness for a GB or SNES Cartridge?
bazz

Post by bazz »

according to http://home1.stofanet.dk/hvaba/gameboy/ ... l#LINK_PCB

the pcb should be 0.8 mm thick
infiniteneslives

Yeah GB boards are pretty thin 0.8mm sounds about right. NES boards are 1.2mm. Laen's are crazy thick in comparison (twice of the GB...) You might be able to jam it in there for a prototype, but I wouldn't think your connector will like it much...

You could always try and simulate it with a stack of post-it notes or something under an original GB board to make it seem like twice the thickness and test it out kinda.
If you're gonna play the Game Boy, you gotta learn to play it right. -Kenny Rogers
bazz

Post by bazz »

ha, I actually stuck an old pcb from laen I had small enough to fit inside Gameboy cartridge casing. IT definitely will nOT fit.
infiniteneslives

Itead has the right thickness, and you can probably get 12 boards for around the same price as Laen. He's got a great service and all, but thickness is a deal breaker for retro work. Itead is the only solution I've found for small quantity proto runs at pretty much any thickness you want.

http://imall.iteadstudio.com/open-pcb/p ... yping.html
bazz

Post by bazz »

This appears to be an immense price drop in comparison to Laen's service.

I stated a month, however it may take me longer.
qwertymodo

Post by qwertymodo »

This might interest you...

You can ignore some of my ignorant remarks about voltage dividers in that thread... I've learned a lot in the last year :P