I proudly present you: [The PiBoy]

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
yasin

I proudly present you: [The PiBoy]

Post by yasin »

I already postet it over at modretro.com, but I thought this might fit into this forum too :D
This is my first real Hardware Mod and actually "portablization" (so far it does not have Batteries, but I plan to use one of these external Phonechargerboxes which would just work fine :D)
It is made of an old DMG Gameboy and a RaspberryPi running with RetroPie.
It took me not long to prepare the DMG case to hold the screen and the RPi, but it was a bit difficult. The best thing is, that I could reuse the joystick of the Gameboy motherboard, so all NES, GB and GBC games can be fully played, eventually Sega games too, because there are enough buttons :D Otherwise, you could just connect a USB joystick to the PiBoy or connect one to it's internal Bluetooth ;D
I tried to fit everything without changing the Cases apperance, without cutting too many holes in it.
HDMI does also work and you could just use it as you would normally if
do not intend to use it to play Games :D

Some pictures of my masterpiece:

Edit: As requested, here are the pics of it's inner life :D I forgot: All connectors were rewired, like Lan connector or USB connector, in order to use them ;)

Dadibom

Re: I proudly present you: [The PiBoy]

Post by Dadibom »

Sweet, was it difficult? You should get a proper screen cover though :)
MottZilla

Re: I proudly present you: [The PiBoy]

Post by MottZilla »

If you got a nicer bezel around the screen, and smoothed out the cut out for the HDMI port it'd look better.

I'm amazed all the things you have inside that case. It certainly does look neat seeing that old GB with color & backlight Zelda DX running on it. The Super Metroid on there is such a tease since you don't have all the buttons you need to play it!