Games that used the window for special effects?

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
tokumaru

Games that used the window for special effects?

Post by tokumaru »

So, the Game Boy has this very interesting layer that the NES lacks. A lot of games use it for boring stuff like status bars and the like, but some of them were more creative about how to use the window. A while ago someone (forgot who) mentioned a Castlevania game which used the window to draw big spiked walls and other large moving objects. Do you guys know of other good examples of creative uses of the window layer, for effects that wouldn't ordinarily be possible in 8-bit consoles with a single background layer?
MottZilla

Re: Games that used the window for special effects?

Post by MottZilla »

Contra (Operation C in North America) I think is another one that uses the Window layer for a large platform, and possibly other large objects.
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

Good example, thanks.
Grumskiz

Post by Grumskiz »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skzu3VL7_38

Chikyuu Kaihou Gun I think is a very interesting example in that it actually uses two background layers scrolling at different speeds.
The effect really shows in later levels I think.
nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 »

Grumskiz wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skzu3VL7_38

Chikyuu Kaihou Gun I think is a very interesting example in that it actually uses two background layers scrolling at different speeds.
The effect really shows in later levels I think.
That game is using a bunch of interesting tricks, but as far as I can see nothing that is using the window, from a quick look at that video.
6:16 Scrolling "behind" the background by writing new tile data for some tiles.
8:33 Switching between between two BG maps every frame, and then lets the LCD lag take care of the frame blending.
11:32 This effect is done by changing the SCX and SCY coordinates and probably map source mid-frame. This effect actually CAN'T be done by the window because of its limitations. (The drawing must always start relative to position 0,0 of the selected map.)
23:38 This boss might be done using the window, but it could also probably be done with the background+sprites. The advantage of doing it that way is that you get hardware mirroring for free.
Grumskiz

Post by Grumskiz »

Huh, interesting. I must admit that I never really looked at it closely. I just thought "that is using the window". Sorry, I guess i was wrong. Nonetheless I still think this game is very impressive!
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

The game has interesting effects, yeah. Unfortunately, the transparent overlay trick isn't of any use in systems with faster displays than the original Game Boy's. In fact, this game probably flickers like hell in a GBA SP!