gbdev Gameboy Coding Compo 2014

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
Sanqui

gbdev Gameboy Coding Compo 2014

Post by Sanqui »

Hi! I'm organizing a small Gameboy coding compo, and I figured that some people in here might be interested in participating. The primary thread is here at nitro2k01's forum, but I'll repost it here for your convenience!
gbdev Gameboy Coding Compo
===========================

Hi and welcome to the first gbdev Gameboy Coding Compo! The point of this competition is to create new homebrew Gameboy games and demos for everybody to enjoy. Everyone is encouraged to join! Even if you've just coded your first hello world (or you're going to), do try to make a simple game! Your entry is welcome.

Some simple guidelines:

1. Your entry should run on hardware and major emulators. Do not rely on known emulator quirks.
You're encouraged to test your game in accurate emulators like bgb and gambatte
2. Your entry should be original, and preferably not a rehash of any older project you may have released in the past. It should be the first public release of the project, or at least substantially different from any older one.
ROM hacks are not allowed. Cloning (recreating) an existing game is fine, if you so wish.

Besides these two, use common sense - remember that your submission will be released to public scrutiny.

Source code is optional, but always appreciated!

Don't know where to start? A barebones project may be posted here soon to help you get the ball rolling.

Recommended assemblers are rgbds or WLA-DX. Of course, new, innovative solutions are not discouraged. Show us something interesting! Additionally, bgb is an accurate emulator with a great debugger, which helps immensively when developing, so you're encouraged to use it, too.

If you need any help or advice, feel free to ask around on this forum, or in the IRC channel (irc.efnet.org #gbdev)!

You may post progress and screenshots in this thread to get feedback from people, or you may keep your submission under wraps - up to you. However, please do not release early versions.

The deadline is 2014-07-01 (pretty much three months from this announcement), after which voting will be held public for two weeks. Finally, the results will be announced!

Entries should be posted to gsanky@gmail.com (my personal email - it will probably change), along with the name you want to use, your forum name, the project name a description of the project. You may send updates at any time until the deadline - only the latest version will be regarded.

This is my first compo of this kind, so there might be some hurdles along the way - again, feel free to ask here if anything's not clear. Most importantly, have fun!
The tl;dr is: deadline in 3 months, public voting, no prizes, just for fun. If you have any questions, you may ask in here too :)
nitro2k01

Re: gbdev Gameboy Coding Compo 2014

Post by nitro2k01 »

The competition period is over. You can now vote for entries in the compo. You need to create a forum account to vote.

http://gbdev.gg8.se/forums/viewforum.php?id=9