LSDJ on real MBC5 cartridge

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
mikejmoffitt

LSDJ on real MBC5 cartridge

Post by mikejmoffitt »

I have the typical 64M EMS cartridge many people have, but it draws a lot of power and looks like it has neither current limiting resistors nor level shifting buffers between the 3.3V ROM, RAM, and CPLD on board and the cartridge slot (5V).

I'm interested in taking a MBC5 game (one of the Legend of Zelda ones), removing the mask rom, and soldering a 29F**** series flash chip in place. Are there any reasons this shouldn't give me a proper dedicated LSDJ cartridge? I was thinking of buying the GB everdrive but it appears to not be properly compatible with LSDJ.
qwertymodo

Re: LSDJ on real MBC5 cartridge

Post by qwertymodo »

mikejmoffitt wrote:I have the typical 64M EMS cartridge many people have, but it draws a lot of power and looks like it has neither current limiting resistors nor level shifting buffers between the 3.3V ROM, RAM, and CPLD on board and the cartridge slot (5V).

I'm interested in taking a MBC5 game (one of the Legend of Zelda ones), removing the mask rom, and soldering a 29F**** series flash chip in place. Are there any reasons this shouldn't give me a proper dedicated LSDJ cartridge? I was thinking of buying the GB everdrive but it appears to not be properly compatible with LSDJ.
Rather than trashing a Zelda cart, why not use a GBC game (pretty much all of which use MBC5)? Then, if you needed it to work with a DMG, you could just get a crappy GB game to use for the shell. Yes, that makes two sacrificial donors instead of 1, but it can be 2 junk donors instead of 1 Zelda (probably cheaper too).
tokumaru

Re: LSDJ on real MBC5 cartridge

Post by tokumaru »

The best GBC game to use as a donor is *NSYNC: Get to the Show. It's a horrendously bad game (game play AND graphics suck really bad) that you can often buy sealed for a couple of bucks.