Pokemon Crystal v1.1 with Celebi Event

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
ShaneM

Pokemon Crystal v1.1 with Celebi Event

Post by ShaneM »

This is REV A of Crystal, where everything is the same, except that I have enabled the Celebi Event. Go to the Goldenrod Pokemon Center to get the GS Ball!

It's Nintendo's official Celebi Event that is triggered when you enter, then exit Goldenrod's Pokemon Center for the first time. You will receive a GS Ball that you take over to Kurt in Azalea Town, just like the Japanese version of Crystal. You then take it to Ilex Forest, and place it in the forest shrine and... Celebi appears!

Nintendo never released this event on the English version, until I restored it. Nintendo of Japan really screwed us over. I mean, it took minimum assembly to do this and a flag change in events. We never even got a chance to receive this promotion.

Patch it to a clean ROM, called: Pokemon - Crystal Version (USA, Europe)(Rev A).gbc
Last edited by ShaneM on Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shonumi

Re: Pokemon Crystal v1.1 with Celebi Event

Post by Shonumi »

Do you know if the patch significantly alters how the game writes its save file? I would love to try this, but I'm just outside of Goldenrod City; I started playing Crystal fresh recently and would not particularly like to restart.

At any rate, great job! Where do you find all the time to translate Green and do this? :p
ShaneM

Post by ShaneM »

Shonumi wrote:Do you know if the patch significantly alters how the game writes its save file? I would love to try this, but I'm just outside of Goldenrod City; I started playing Crystal fresh recently and would not particularly like to restart.

At any rate, great job! Where do you find all the time to translate Green and do this? :p
It alters two values in WRAM1 to the .sav file. I forgot which values specifically as I did this last August. This has been up on my forum for almost a year, now. Though you would need to start a new game or else it will skip over the event if using an old save file. This file is for Crystal REV A or v1.1.

Pokémon Green was my first ever ASM project. I think I started Green...let's say, uh... last March(?) [I don't remember the exact date but I had one of the best damn Domino's pizza and wings that day I started]. It took until this April to finish it (not the pizza, the Green).

The Crystal Celebi event only took me two hours to do on the same day. It was easy. All I did was trace code on writes to WRAM1 on the Japanese version using BGB debugger and added the fix to the USA version.

I figured it was easiest to hack Red from Green (which is a hack of Blue) since the changes were minor. I then hacked my Green again to make Blue because I'm cool like that. Really, that's what Nintendo did with all their games. They either made Red or Green first and then the other one second from the first one's code. So I just followed in their steps. Most glitches were fixed in Crystal v1.1 already, such as Entei's cry and slot machines. So I really couldn't think of anything else to fix. Enjoy! :)
alphamule

Post by alphamule »

Hmm, got the checksum? That would be handy to making sure there's no bugs added by mistake.
Idealogical
From: I have an idea. It seems logical. Thus everyone must agree.

Fail, fail, fail again. Keep trying, then maybe this damn thing will work. Eventually you might even know why it worked.