It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:54 am 

In this topic, Great Hierophant claimed that the EverDrive GB makes all other Game Boy flash solutions obsolete.

From the product page at kitsch-bent:
  • "compatible with all systems which support GB and GBC cartridges, including Super Game Boy"
    But the cartridge appears to no corner cutout for the power switch, so it'll fit in a Super Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance, Game Boy Advance SP, or Game Boy micro, but not an original Game Boy or Game Boy pocket. There's a cutout on the PCB inside, but with SMT at that pitch, dust might pose a problem.
  • "support for Game Boy and Game Boy Color games (official titles)"
    Does "(official titles)" mean it's like a RetroN 5 and won't run homebrew? This parenthetical doesn't appear on the page on krikzz.com.
  • "simple menu"
    If it does run homebrew, what rules of thumb should one use to avoid inadvertently relying on the difference between the state of a Game Boy with a "normal" cartridge after the intro animation and the state after having run this menu?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:37 am 

I have an Everdrive GB, but used it very little. I certainly didn't try any homebrews yet, but knowing krikzz's products I don't see why they wouldn't work. As for the case, I believe the ones sold by krikzz himself do fit all Game Boys, but I'm not sure. Will check later on my GB Pocket.

EDIT: Just looked at a photo on krikzz's and you're right, the case is similar to a GBC one. I've seen people using classic cases though.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:43 am 

Tried a few homebrews/protos/hacks/translations/etc. and everything ran fine. I think the only thing that didn't run was those NES ROMs.

When I bought mine, it didn't come with a shell (you had to hack up your own), but the ones they currently offer do have a small slot for the DMG's power switch.

PS. Does not fit in Game Boy Micro, since the Micro only supports GBA carts ;) And GB Pocket doesn't need a notch, just the DMG.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:19 am 

I expounded on its virtues more here : http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/201 ... e-boy.html

It fits in a DMG Game Boy just fine and works in it too. There is a cutout on the back of the case that allows the power button tab the room it needs.

The rules for homebrew are simple, if the game uses no MBC or the official MBC 1, 2, 3 or 5 (or compatible clone or emulator, it should work. If it uses custom hardware then it won't. When you turn the system on, it boots to the menu after displaying the Nintendo(R) or GAME BOY Nintendo(R) logo. Then you select a game and the system reboots (except on Super Game Boy), displaying the logo again. That way homebrews should have no issues with the protection check, just like regular games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:29 am 

I saw on Krikzz' forum though that Everdrive GB seems to have trouble with the Nintendo 64 GB-Pak device. That's one thing that makes old MBC5 based flashcarts still useful.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:40 pm 

w00t, a Gameboy flashcart with an SD card interface?! $92 is a bit pricey, but I foresee a puchase in the near future. Being able to keep everything on one cart, not having to worry about overwriting saves, etc sounds nice.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:06 pm 

mic_ wrote:
Being able to keep everything on one cart, not having to worry about overwriting saves, etc sounds nice.

That's the standard for flash carts nowadays... once you get used to that, it's hard to go back to the pain that is working with less capable devices.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:52 am 

tepples wrote:
Does "(official titles)" mean it's like a RetroN 5 and won't run homebrew?

Was there anything you needed tested?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:22 am 

A random sampling of PDRoms perhaps. I was planning on getting into Game Boy homebrew sometime, even if only to write client programs for connecting a Game Boy's link port to the second NES controller port.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:08 am 

I have the feeling that "official titles" refers that it most likely doesn't include support for custom mappers used in unlicensed games.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:52 pm 

Yeah it's said to support only official memory controllers between MBC1-5 except MBC3+RTC. I think that as long as you make your homebrew within specs and fix the header checksum, there should be no difference between it and a retail ROM.

Even if the initial state of the Game Boy are messed with by the Everdrive, a game probably shouldn't rely on their initial values anyway, since those values differ a bit between Game Boy models.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:00 pm 

Isn't the initial state rather unpredictable in practice? (in fact this is one thing that annoys me from the Everdrive flashcarts, since they have a firmware they initialize the hardware before the game starts, so if you have an initialization bug in your game you will not be able to catch it using them).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:54 pm 

True, it's probably best to test homebrew on a custom cart as well before releasing it.

Sik wrote:
Isn't the initial state rather unpredictable in practice?

The bootstrap ROM runs initialization routines before loading the ROM cart, so it is somewhat predictable (although for example DMG and CGB works differently). It sets up sound and other things so a Game Boy game doesn't need as much init code as a NES/Famicom game does.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:05 pm 

Pokun wrote:
True, it's probably best to test homebrew on a custom cart as well before releasing it.

Or a flashcart without firmware. But yeah, especially if you plan to release cartridges anyway (as opposed to just a ROM, in which case at worst you just release a patch).

Pokun wrote:
The bootstrap ROM runs initialization routines before loading the ROM cart, so it is somewhat predictable (although for example DMG and CGB works differently). It sets up sound and other things so a Game Boy game doesn't need as much init code as a NES/Famicom game does.

Oh right, forgot about the Game Boy's own firmware (but there's no guarantee that the Everdrive firmware will leave it in the same state).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:49 am 

Sik wrote:
but there's no guarantee that the Everdrive firmware will leave it in the same state.

Maybe, but I think the Everdrive uses the reset line to reset the Game Boy so that the bootstrap should load up again. On Super Game Boy you would have to reset manually though.