It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:32 am 

BGB is now Gatsu, a multi emulator suite with support for GB, GBA, NES, SMS, SMD and Atari Lynx.

http://bgb.bircd.org/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:07 pm 

Quote:
To help accurate and complete preservation, cartridges are represented as folders, where rom and ram chips are represented as image files, in addition to a XML metadata file, and an optional picture for cartridge/box art.

Inspired by Higan I see...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:33 pm 

*facepalm*

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:31 pm 

So you didn't make a GUI for Mednafen?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:10 pm 

koitsu wrote:
*facepalm*

Still not as bad as Retrocopy which wants its own format just so it can store the freaking boxart.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:01 am 

April 1st is a wonderful day.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:42 am 

Heh, that's pretty funny :D
(too bad he didn't actually ship something ala bZSNES though :P)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:57 am 

I had almost fallen for that. Was disappointed to see my favourite emulator undergo such a thing. XD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:03 am 

I was actually worried this would become a trend.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:06 am 

tokumaru wrote:
I was actually worried this would become a trend.

If you're talking about all the stuff about multi-console emulation, IMO it's nothing special. Why have an average emulator for five consoles when you could have an amazing emulator for one?

That's just one way to look at it, though. Not sure what others may think.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:45 am 

nicklausw wrote:
If you're talking about all the stuff about multi-console emulation, IMO it's nothing special.

I do see some merit in the idea of reusing the interface, input and output, but I guess it would make more sense to create a library for that instead of packing emulators of different levels of accuracy in one program.

My biggest concern is emulators forcing a specific ROM format, actually. Its like Photoshop telling me that it will convert all my images into TIFFs and force me to store my files in their folder structure because the developers happen to think that is the superior format for images. Programs are supposed to support multiple input formats, because people have different preferences when it comes to storing their stuff. The conversions that will happen internally so the data can be used are not my concern, and I shouldn't be forced to store the modified data anywhere.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:34 pm 

Because the SNES supports the Super Gameboy, in order to have 100% complete SNES emulation, you have to incorporate accurate Gameboy emulation as well. Then, since you have written a Gameboy core, a Gameboy Color core then is not that much effort. In the same vein, having a solid 65816 core and having accurate Nintendo-style sound, a NES emulator does not seem to be that much of an effort (at first). Going further, since the SNES emulation already supports ARM emulation for that one Shogi game that uses it, a Gameboy Advance emulator becomes doable especially since you already have half the sound emulation and some similarities with SNES graphics. It may not be nearly as much of a snowball effect as Sega emulation, but it goes to show how emulators can grow well beyond their original intended limits.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:40 pm 

Great Hierophant wrote:
It may not be nearly as much of a snowball effect as Sega emulation

And that's considering that snowballing isn't even complete! =P (Tera Drive and Picture Magic still haven't been emulated despite being part of the SG-1000 family in some way)

I would disagree on GBA emulation though, just emulating the CPU is far from close to emulating the whole thing (video hardware in particular is a huge thing and needs to be emulated from scratch, and no you can't really reuse the SNES code unless you want a huge unmaintainable mess that's likely to have tons of inaccuracy bugs).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:59 am 

EDIT: I wrote a lengthy reply to this which some people saw, but decided to remove it. I'm tired of having these discussions, sorry.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:25 am 

byuu wrote:
EDIT: I wrote a lengthy reply to this which some people saw, but decided to remove it. I'm tired of having these discussions, sorry.

I was replying before you deleted the post, but now that you did it seems silly to post my response.

I too have no intention to fight, but from your original post I could see that you didn't understand the motivation behind my post in this thread, so I will explain at least this part.

I respect the decisions you made regarding your own software and have long stopped complaining about them, as far as higan is concerned, and have simply stopped using it. It's a great SNES emulator, but there are other SNES emulators around, and having to keep duplicate game libraries just to cater to one emulator's needs is not something I can condone.

What I expressed here is my concern about the use of custom file formats becoming a fad among emulators, like this thread initially suggested. Can you imagine if every NES emulator decided to maintain ROMs in their own preferred format? I'd have to keep a library in iNES format, one in UNIF format, another in chips + XML format... Might not necessarily be a lot of hard disk space nowadays, but it's still a mess of redundancy that's hard to maintain as I discover new games I want to keep around. I hope you can understand my concern.

I think it's wrong for an emulator to act all sovereign like it's the only one in that PC. I use different emulators for different purposes... One is better for playing, other for debugging and another for recording videos, and I don't think I'm asking much when I want them to play nice with each other and use the same unified game library.

I'm not against having more options for file formats, only against the ignoring of well established standards (even if they're not perfect - nothing is perfect) in favor of a new one, in hopes of forcing people to use that. I don't like being forced to do things, but if a format is optional and is indeed interesting enough to start being used elsewhere, I might consider adopting it once support is satisfactory.

I want to make it clear that this is not an attack on higan or byuu, and I have absolutely no intentions of changing higan. I'm simply making it clear why I think one of the choices made for that program is undesirable in hopes that others realize that and don't follow the same path.