GBS Request

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
Drag

Post by Drag »

The thing is, those all get into sound-effects territory. It's very possible that the reason they're not in the nsfs and gbses is because they're sound effects, and aren't loaded with the normal music loading routine.
NotTheCommonDose

Post by NotTheCommonDose »

Could this be fixed?
Drag

Post by Drag »

I don't see why it couldn't, but it just seems "incorrect" to me. I mean, you'd might as well ask for someone to put the sound effects back into SMB's nsf rip, or something.
tepples

Post by tepples »

There is a continuum between "sound effect" and "music". Are these music or sound effects?
  • Life bar extension jingle in Super Mario Bros. 2
  • 1-up jingle in Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Multiplayer death jingle in GoldenEye 007
  • Starman sound in Mario Kart series
Dwedit

Post by Dwedit »

They're called "Jingles".
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

Which leads to the next question: at what point does a jingle deserve to stay in the GBS or NSF vs. be dropped?
tokumaru

Post by tokumaru »

tepples wrote:at what point does a jingle deserve to stay in the GBS or NSF vs. be dropped?
If you can hum it, it's music. =)
Drag

Post by Drag »

The "item placement track" in DK, I'm assuming is when you grab a platform or a ladder block, and you place it on the field, which makes a simple "sploinnnng" noise. It's no jingle or anything, it's just a sound effect, not unlike the sound that plays when Mario walks, or jumps.

The G&WG miss songs are mostly extremely short 1-channel sounds that consist of 4-8 notes that just loops over and over. You could argue that it's a jingle, but it's no more so then having the SMB 1-up sound looping over and over.

The last thing is that these tracks aren't even accessible via the regular music-loading routine, in most cases (Which includes DK and G&WG iirc). Given this, considering that they're not really 'tunes' of any sort, there's no real reason to track down the SFX loading routine.
tepples

Post by tepples »

Drag wrote:The G&WG miss songs are mostly extremely short 1-channel sounds that consist of 4-8 notes that just loops over and over.
As is the background music of the first four levels in DK.
Drag

Post by Drag »

tepples wrote:
Drag wrote:The G&WG miss songs are mostly extremely short 1-channel sounds that consist of 4-8 notes that just loops over and over.
As is the background music of the first four levels in DK.
The difference is in the composition. Did you notice how you called it "background music"? It's simply that, even though it's an extremely short 1-channel song, it's composed such a way that it resides in the background. It's subtle, unobtrusive, and most importantly, it was composed with the intention of it being BGM and looped a lot while you're focused on something else.

G&WG's miss tunes. Although they are extremely short, 1-channel songs, like the DK BGMs, they aren't "background music". They are designed to be more in the foreground, and the intention definitely *isn't* to have these loop repeatedly while you're trying to concentrate on what you're doing. This is the key distinction, they're treated as sound effects.
tepples

Post by tepples »

So I guess there won't be anything for GBS like the TDX standard for warez scene releases of Xvid rips of feature films.
NotTheCommonDose

um... well as in Item placement, I meant when you have control over where the item is going to be placed. The screen fades a shade whiter and Mario freezes from where he was when he plucked the item placer, then you hear a tune similar to K.K. song but it is NOT K.K. song. It's certainly hummable so I guess it's more of a song than a jingle.
Drag

Post by Drag »

NotTheCommonDose wrote:um... well as in Item placement, I meant when you have control over where the item is going to be placed. The screen fades a shade whiter and Mario freezes from where he was when he plucked the item placer, then you hear a tune similar to K.K. song but it is NOT K.K. song. It's certainly hummable so I guess it's more of a song than a jingle.
Oh! Yeah, that's a song. :P I wonder why it's not in the tracklist though... o_O
NotTheCommonDose

Super B-Daman and Super Black Bass Pocket 2 (J)?
ugetab

Post by ugetab »

http://www.angelfire.com/nc/ugetab/GBSs/

Super B-Daman is there.

http://www.angelfire.com/nc/ugetab/

Just added a fixed Donkey Kong. GBS2GB song reinits don't automatically reinit the bank number to 1, so it had to be done manually. If they had stored the song table before 0x4000(like I tend to), it wouldn't have mattered.
NSFs I've ripped:
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/ugetab/

A Searchable list of NSFs from other sites. In Internet Explorer, go to Edit>Find (on This Page)...
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/ugetab/NSFList.txt