It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:31 pm 

But developing homebrew for DS is illegal because it circumvents the security measures and also only the R4 cart can do that and it's been illegalized in UK and Japan. I wouldn't like to be seen having those. GBA is still good because all development kits are legal and the patent of the console has run out.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:33 pm 

If you want DS features, make a PC game or move out of the UK and Japan. Here in the States, we have a Supreme Court that ruled in Lexmark v. Static Control Components to limit how successful a "circumvents the security measures" legal theory can be when "the security measures" exist primarily for the purpose of subjecting complementary goods to vendor lock-in. For a while, the major electronics chain Best Buy was selling Datel's Games 'n Music, a DS flash cart that can run only homebrew.

Neither GBA nor GBC is more than 20 years old.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:48 pm 

tepples wrote:
The GBA PPU has four tiled layers, and each can be replaced with a mode 7 layer, or all four can be replaced with a software-drawn frame buffer. Games using 3D rendering, such as Doom and Payback, use a frame buffer mode.

I hate to be a stickler for details, but you mentioned the GBA, so I have to. :P

The GBA allows for up to 4 tiled layers in Mode 0, but successive modes limit the number of available layers. The SNES Mode 7 is not a native mode on the GBA, but it can be emulated via per-scanline BG scaling and rotation operations. Unfortunately all modes that permit these scaling and rotation operations have less than 4 layers. Technically, only BG layers 2 and 3 can be scaled and rotated, so not all four layers can be replaced with a Mode 7 like layer. Additionally, only BG layer 2 can act as a framebuffer for software rendering; all other layers are disabled in Modes 3-5, however.

It would have been amazing to have 4 layers constantly available outside of Mode 0, but things didn't turn out that way. I won't speak about the DS because I've yet to write an emulator for that, nor have I investigated homebrew hardware tests for it.

8bitMicroGuy wrote:
But developing homebrew for DS is illegal because it circumvents the security measures and also only the R4 cart can do that and it's been illegalized in UK and Japan. I wouldn't like to be seen having those. GBA is still good because all development kits are legal and the patent of the console has run out.

Realistically speaking, at worse, you'd get a C&D letter of some sort. Seriously, although any company could come and "get you" with court cases, it's often just not a profitable move to go after some Random Joe Smoe making homebrew games.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 7:53 pm 

I now realize that I had left a word out of my original post, an error that I failed to catch in preview. Would "each two can be replaced" have been more accurate?

• Mode 0: tiled, tiled, tiled, tiled
  • Mode 1: tiled, tiled, mode 7
  • Mode 2: mode 7, mode 7

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:03 pm 

Thank you tepples, my nerdish obsession attention to detail has been satisfied :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 10:57 am 

I'm having trouble understanding modes. Can you tell me which mode is used by Super Mario Advance 4?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 2:47 pm 

8bitMicroGuy wrote:
I'm having trouble understanding modes. Can you tell me which mode is used by Super Mario Advance 4?

Mode 0. There are 4 BGs including the scoreboard.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 7:25 am 

There's an overview of the different modes here -> http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#gbal ... controller Scroll down the LCD section for more info on them.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 8:57 am 

If I recall correctly:

• Mode 0: four background layers
  • Mode 1: three background layers, one rotates/scales
  • Mode 2: two background layers, both rotate/scale

While modes 3-5 are different bitmap modes. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but if I recall correctly that's the gist of it.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 4:03 pm 

That's exactly spot on.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:09 pm 

What does Super Mario Advance 4 use?

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:38 pm 

Espozo wrote:
8bitMicroGuy wrote:

Mode 0. There are 4 BGs including the scoreboard.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:02 pm 

Sorry. I couldn't find my post. I thought I closed the window and that it didn't send.