It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:04 pm 

Hi, first post here, apoligies if in the wrong section.
I've been reading a lot on this site and decided to build a GB and GBC flash cart with a CPLD implementation of the MBC5 chip.

I've seen this site here: http://wiki.ladecadence.net/doku.php?id=cartucho_flash

and I am trying to build it from the schematics and pcb layout.
But I cannot find any of the Flash IC they used. They say AM29F016D / AM29F032D FLASH 16/32 Mbit SMD SO44
Can anyone recommend a flash ic that is still in production and not too expensive that could be used for this.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:18 pm 

There is no still-in-production 5V 4 MiB programmable memory.

There is still 5V 2 MiB programmable memory from Micron, the M29F160F. It's not the same size, though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:21 pm 

lidnariq wrote:
There is no still-in-production 5V 4 MiB programmable memory.

There is still 5V 2 MiB programmable memory from Micron, the M29F160F. It's not the same size, though.

Thank you very much for your reply,
It doesn't have to be the same size, just the same pins. In different places is okay. Because the existing chip has 22 address lines and 8 data lines, so wouldn't any chip with these specifications do? (Disregarding voltage, timing, physical package etc)

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:44 pm 

Well, you can redo the design to use the M29F160F by setting it in byte mode. (It can also operate with a 16-bit data bus). This is straight-forward but involved.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:58 pm 

mikee7940 wrote:
I've been reading a lot on this site and decided to build a GB and GBC flash cart with a CPLD implementation of the MBC5 chip.

I've seen this site here: http://wiki.ladecadence.net/doku.php?id=cartucho_flash

But I cannot find any of the Flash IC they used. They say AM29F016D / AM29F032D FLASH 16/32 Mbit SMD SO44
Can anyone recommend a flash ic that is still in production and not too expensive that could be used for this.

FYI, that design is flawed (he states so himself). There is timing issues (or some other VHDL issue, likely) that cause it not to work on the original DMG / pocket or GBC. Games will crash and/or have graphical errors. Seems to work on GBA though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:05 pm 

getafixx wrote:
mikee7940 wrote:

FYI, that design is flawed (he states so himself). There is timing issues (or some other VHDL issue, likely) that cause it not to work on the original DMG / pocket or GBC. Games will crash and/or have graphical errors. Seems to work on GBA though.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply
Do you know of a better design?
Many thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:30 am 

This site HERE has a VHDL implementation of the MBC1 mapper, but I don't know if it works. The author says it does, though.