Justin Karneges releases unpublished GBC game w/full source

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
Dwedit

Justin Karneges releases unpublished GBC game w/full source

Post by Dwedit »

"Infinity" was a Game Boy color game in development in 2001 by a team including veteran TI-8x programmers Justin Karneges and Hideaki Omuro. They were unable to find a publisher at the time, and the game languished for the next 15 years unchanged. Finally, they decided to release the unfinished game with full source code.
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
pstalcup

Re: Justin Karneges releases unpublished GBC game w/full sou

Post by pstalcup »

I saw this - it looks really interesting.

Also interesting is the fact that most of the game was written in C. I was under the impression that anything of this relative complexity would've required more hand-tuned assembly.
I'm eager to look through the source, though.
nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 »

pstalcup wrote:Also interesting is the fact that most of the game was written in C. I was under the impression that anything of this relative complexity would've required more hand-tuned assembly.
Most of the heavy lifting, like the special effects, is done in asm as one might suspect. For example, it does away with GBDK's standard interrupt multiplexer in favor of its own asm code. It's not really surprising that a game that requires little realtime input has delegated "household tasks" to c, which then controls the engine. In fact, doing so may be good for your sanity. It's the principle of optimizing the 10% of the code that does 90% of the work.

Nice seeing that this game was finally released. For every year that passed, I had less and less hope that it would happen.
nicklausw

Post by nicklausw »

*sees gbc game code released*
Oh, cool!
*sees that it utilizes C*
Not so cool.

Something about code written in GBDK just doesn't interest me. Maybe because it has so many pre-written functions, and I like seeing how different programmers work the wheel.