It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:06 am 

"Infinity" was a Game Boy color game in development in 2001 by a team including veteran TI-8x programmers Justin Karneges and Hideaki Omuro. They were unable to find a publisher at the time, and the game languished for the next 15 years unchanged. Finally, they decided to release the unfinished game with full source code.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:10 am 

I saw this - it looks really interesting.

Also interesting is the fact that most of the game was written in C. I was under the impression that anything of this relative complexity would've required more hand-tuned assembly.
I'm eager to look through the source, though.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:16 pm 

pstalcup wrote:
Also interesting is the fact that most of the game was written in C. I was under the impression that anything of this relative complexity would've required more hand-tuned assembly.
Most of the heavy lifting, like the special effects, is done in asm as one might suspect. For example, it does away with GBDK's standard interrupt multiplexer in favor of its own asm code. It's not really surprising that a game that requires little realtime input has delegated "household tasks" to c, which then controls the engine. In fact, doing so may be good for your sanity. It's the principle of optimizing the 10% of the code that does 90% of the work.

Nice seeing that this game was finally released. For every year that passed, I had less and less hope that it would happen.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 11:50 am 

*sees gbc game code released*
Oh, cool!
*sees that it utilizes C*
Not so cool.

Something about code written in GBDK just doesn't interest me. Maybe because it has so many pre-written functions, and I like seeing how different programmers work the wheel.