A curated list of awesome Game Boy Development resources

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
antzero

A curated list of awesome Game Boy Development resources

Post by antzero »

I've been collecting and organising resources related to gbdev for a while (started in Nov 2015!) and I pretty happy at where is the project now so I wanna share it with you and have some feedback:

Awesome Game Boy Development - A curated list of awesome Game Boy Development resources, tools, docs, related projects and open-source ROMs.

If you have anything useful please let me know (or contribute on github!).

Hope this helps someone.
zzo38

Re: A curated list of awesome Game Boy Development resources

Post by zzo38 »

I looked at some of those. There are even some game in there, some of which is good. I looked also at RGBGFX, which can be use for graphics. Also possibly useful for graphics are some of the programs in my own Farbfeld Utilities, specifically pngff, ffbit, and ff-reduce may be useful. (The program pngff depends on LodePNG, which is included. Other than that, most of the programs have no dependencies on each other or on other external libraries.) However, this program does not use the PNG palette as the output; you must specify the palette yourself. (If you want to create a palette from the colours in the picture, you may use something like ff-printf $'%04X%04X%04X\n' | sort | uniq perhaps.) (I think the "F" format of ffbit is compatible with GameBoy (while "F8" is the format for Famicom); you can tell me if I am wrong.)
(Free Hero Mesh - FOSS puzzle game engine)