My EverDrive arrived. Now what GBC emulator in 2017?

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
tepples

My EverDrive arrived. Now what GBC emulator in 2017?

Post by tepples »

In [url=https://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php?p=203657#p203657]this post[/url], maseter wrote:there is an open-source city-building game for the GBC:
[...]
Get this "µCity 1.0" for free here: https://github.com/AntonioND/ucity
I bought an EverDrive GB X5 from Stone Age Gamer, which arrived today. I was able to load two homebrew games onto the microSD card and run them on my clear purple Game Boy Color. Now I'm looking to make my own and accept the injustice of a lack of indexed addressing modes.

I know to use RGBDS, a rough counterpart to ca65/ld65, to assemble LR35902 assembly into a Game Boy executable. But what stable debugging emulator should I use to run a freshly built .gbc on my ThinkPad X61 running Debian 9 amd64 before I try it on the SD? The README for µCity recommends BGB. I looked up BGB, and the download page had bad news (proprietary) and good news (Wine is fully supported, and low CPU use). I currently have both Wine and Mono installed. Is BGB the best option at the moment?
adam_smasher

Re: My EverDrive arrived. Now what GBC emulator in 2017?

Post by adam_smasher »

BGB is what I use, and I can confirm it works well in Wine. I don't think any open source emulators have debugging tools that are comparable.
Shonumi

Post by Shonumi »

AFAIK, the only open source DMG/GBC emulators that, in part, focus on debugging tools (especially GUI ones) are endrift's mGBA and my own GBE+. If you're looking for CLI debugging stuff, GBE+ is pretty advanced. I've been holding off on improving the debugging GUI (and expanding it to GBA stuff) until I move the project over to Qt5 officially.

I'm in no way saying that it's completely comparable to BGB, but I did model a lot of it after BGB because I wanted to stop relying on someone else's emulator instead of my own. Here's what it looks like for those curious. Probably not going to replace BGB for anyone but me, but don't ever let anyone say no one tried to make something similar to BGB.
zerowalker

Post by zerowalker »

well VBA-M has some debugging tools as well.
Find all those impressive as i myself have a hard time doing such things.
The Step-by-step instruction debugging can be gold.
calima

Post by calima »

Perhaps byuu's gb emulator will save us all ;)
nitro2k01

Post by nitro2k01 »

calima wrote:Perhaps byuu's gb emulator will save us all ;)
Do byuu's emulators usually include debugging support?
adam_smasher

Post by adam_smasher »

bsnes used to have what was pretty much the best-in-class SNES debugger, but when byuu scrapped the old QT interface it went away.

So I think what calima means is, perhaps Revenant's fork of byuu's GB emulator will save us all :)
Revenant

Post by Revenant »

How long can you hold your breath? :P
tepples

Post by tepples »

This post provides an excuse to bump:
calima wrote:Emulators aren't an issue for development, well as long as you don't want to use proprietary ones like BGB. Adding support for mappers is quite easy.
Any progress on free debugging emulators recently?

EDIT: Answered my own question. I've added mGBA build instructions to my dev tools setup page.
Oziphantom

Post by Oziphantom »

I've not used it, but what about http://emulicious.net/ ?