It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:12 am 

Hello folks,

After some time programming on the Atari VCS I decided to give it a go at programming for the device I spend my whole childhood on... the gameboy.

I looked around and I couldn't find any decent implementation of Snake (by decent I mean fast, nice grafix, with multiple levels, and fun).
For my own madness, I decided the snake had to be fully 60hz animated too.

After what was roughly 1 week of hacking around + 1 week of fixing things, here is then my implementation of the classic Snake (or more close to a more recent Snake, say Snake 2 or something)

Also included in the package are the 2 python programs I used to parse grafix... ugly but useful!

In afterthought, I think I should have done some things otherwise... but the result is fun anyway.
Everything is done by myself, this includes the grafix and the little background music.

I hope you like it, and I would welcome suggestions and improvements (although I won't have a lot of time this week)

Attachments:
File comment: The game itself (latest version)
snake.gb [32 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time
File comment: The source code, program data, and programmes used to generate it (latest version)
snake.zip [75.43 KiB]
Downloaded 1 time

Last edited by Yvar de Goffau on Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:49 pm, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:20 am 
Formerly WheelInventor

Congratulations! Well done, i love the fluid animation. :beer:

Some thoughts on possible changes:

-Maybe add a unique "egg in belly" tile for when it was swallowed right in a 90 degree turn?
-The music is a good start, but gets grating after a short while since the loop is so short.
-When the snake has gotten very long, if you die, it takes quite a while for the retry message to appear
-Maybe a countdown on eggs until next level rather than amount of eggs swallowed would be more informative + slightly nerve wracking. Especially with that delay between swallowing and being extended.
-Maybe introduce the "cherry" to vary gameplay. The exact mechanics are up to you, but it could disappear after some timer runs out or if you take the egg first. Normally, a cherry would grant points, but there are no points except a record on how long you got the snake. It could count towards that score/goal without elongating the snake? Sounds like a suitable reward for risking your life for a time-limited bonus.
-Maybe one of the action buttons could speed up the snake a bit? (use at own risk).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:37 am 

The nintendo logo scrolling off the bottom of the screen was a clever touch :)

When the snake goes off the top of the screen the last tail section glitches out. It looks like it's getting flipped before scrolling off. I also agree that the music is a bit harsh sounding.

Impressive for only a couple weeks of work!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:48 am 

Alyosha_TAS wrote:
The nintendo logo scrolling off the bottom of the screen was a clever touch :)

I first saw this in Wordtris.

Another approach, especially for a larger project intended for a cartridge, is to fade a couple lines of text onto the logo for a couple seconds while your game is setting various things up.
Attachment:
tmss_exploit.png
tmss_exploit.png [ 475 Bytes | Viewed 430 times ]

I've done something similar with Genesis TMSS (source: Tweet).
Attachment:
md_tmss_exploit.jpg
md_tmss_exploit.jpg [ 50.26 KiB | Viewed 430 times ]

In each case, the BIOS notice displays for a couple seconds, and then your notice displays for a couple seconds after that.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:04 pm 

Thank you all for your feedback!

In no particular order:

Quote:
The nintendo logo scrolling off the bottom of the screen was a clever touch

--- Haha :D ... that was what I thought too. I did spend my whole childhood watching that far too slow logo fade away, so it was totally worth it! :twisted:

Quote:
When the snake goes off the top of the screen the last tail section glitches out. It looks like it's getting flipped before scrolling off.

--- Oups... I completly forgot to fix that one! Yes, I had noticed it earlier, and I know what's wrong, so I will have a look at it as soon as possible.

Quote:
Maybe add a unique "egg in belly" tile for when it was swallowed right in a 90 degree turn?

--- The lack of that is also a source of another little bug, in that the tail sprite glitches when digesting that kind of corner-eggs. I already had a look, but my collision code is messy and I need to rewrite it first

Quote:
The music gets grating after a short while since the loop is so short.

--- So true... I wish I was better with sounds but I'm not a real chiptune artist. But I will work on it. Only disabling/enabling one of the channels already does magic!

Quote:
Maybe a countdown on eggs until next level rather than amount of eggs swallowed would be more informative + slightly nerve wracking. Especially with that delay between swallowing and being extended.

--- The HUD might not be clear enough. Left is the number of eggs swallowed (actually the number of eggs digested, but that will change very soon). In the middle is the timer, not used yet, and in the right is the highscore for the current level (in eggs swallowed). By the way, have you tried pressing A/B/Select/Start on retry to switch levels? :roll:

Quote:
Maybe one of the action buttons could speed up the snake a bit?

--- I even thought about speeding up the game after some time, to put more stress on the player to get their eggs early. For those to work, I have to craft an variable timer, which is easy enough (just take the high nibble instead of the low nibble as a time index) but I didn't yet find time to implement it

Quote:
Maybe introduce the "cherry" to vary gameplay.

--- I love that idea! But pfft... first some more bugs/features to fix!

Quote:
When the snake has gotten very long, if you die, it takes quite a while for the retry message to appear

--- You have been playing too long... get a pause! :D Well, I will speed it up a bit as soon as I have the function for...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:34 am 

Version 0.2A!

Fantastic how adding a little countdown quickening-up the game can work on peoples nerves! :twisted:
Now find the time to add 90 degrees egg in belly, better music, and maybe some cherries and we're good to go! :D

Attachments:
File comment: Version 0.2A of the source
snake.zip [84.95 KiB]
Downloaded 2 times
File comment: Version 0.2A of the game
snake.gb [32 KiB]
Downloaded 4 times

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:28 am 

Didn't have much time this week, but here is a version 0.2B...

What have changed:
- Fixed the tail cornering bug
- Added 90 degrees egg-in-belly grafix
- Improved a little the music :?

:D Please keep on sending feedback :D
:beer: ... and if you like it, why not share it? :beer:

Attachments:
File comment: The game
snake.gb [32 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times
File comment: The source
snake.zip [71.94 KiB]
Downloaded 3 times

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:11 am 

much more fun to play now with the softer toned music.

I think it could us some more animations though, like one for eating the egg, or the snakes belly segments expeanding as he swallows it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:08 am 

I gonna have a look... but it is not easy. The head and tails are (for technical reasons) movable shapes, and I'm a bit short of OAM shapes!

However, running my shape deduplicator on it, with detection of mirror and flip, shows that 36 of the 256 shapes are (indirectly) duplicates...

So as soon as I have those deduplicated, I can start to add more animation...
To be more specific, I can add 1 animation sequence for 4 directions (32 shapes i.e. 8 steps * 4 directions), and then I keep 4 movable shapes for things like cherries, baskets, ect...

So what do you prefer? An sequence where the snake's head opens its mouth to eat an egg? Or maybe something else?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:46 pm 

Small update! (version 0.2C, I think)

I added an bonus called The Basket. It appears somewhere between difficulty level 4 and 7, and if you tumble it, it will make eggs scatter the screen. :mrgreen: Of course, only one is the real egg, but the others are delicious too! :P

I worked on the extra animations, I even found space to squeeze in both head eating and segment expanding frames, but they are not finished yet. That will be for a next update!

Attachments:
File comment: For the gamers ;-)
snake.gb [32 KiB]
Downloaded 4 times
File comment: For the hackers >:-}
snake.zip [75.43 KiB]
Downloaded 3 times