[Homebrew] Bad Apple for the DMG Gameboy

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
elseyf

[Homebrew] Bad Apple for the DMG Gameboy

Post by elseyf »

Something I worked on for the past few weeks:
https://github.com/elseyf/Bad-Apple-for-DMG-GameBoy

Copied from the README:

Code: Select all

Bad Apple Demo for the DMG GameBoy System - by el_seyf

Demonstrates video playing capabilities of the GameBoy

The Video is encoded to 160x72 pixels, playing at 15fps and is streched to fit the screen (An empty bar of pixels was added to each frame to evenly fit into 10 tiles vertically, this is required due to how the frames are encoded). Frames are compressed with standard LZ4 compression. Decompressing a frame is handled in 3 frames (max), tile tranfers in 1 frame. The full video is fit into 1MB of ROM space
mmz16x

Re: [Homebrew] Bad Apple for the DMG Gameboy

Post by mmz16x »

How do I compile this to a .gb or .gbc to play it im a fan of bad apple and really want to see this in action
calima

Post by calima »

There's a zip on the Releases tab.
elseyf

Post by elseyf »

mmz16x wrote:How do I compile this to a .gb or .gbc to play it im a fan of bad apple and really want to see this in action
Sorry for the belated answer.
I have uploaded the assembler I used to compile the binary, you can get it here:
https://github.com/elseyf/bass-m

To assemble, you just call bass-m with the main source file, "bad_apple.gasm", and it will assemble it. I will update the README.md accordingly. I have since updated the demo, I removed the frame-tearing issue, adjusted the frame-rate to 12fps, and added music (rudimentary, its being worked on).

you can find the latest build in the attachment. Sources will be updated once the music is finished.

thanks for your interest :)
Attachments
bad_apple.gb
(1 MiB) Downloaded 542 times