Compiling Archon Player by Stello Doussis

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
Twoflower

Compiling Archon Player by Stello Doussis

Post by Twoflower »

Hi folks,

Kind of a longshot since this forum don't seem to be that active, but still. I'm currently trying to find out some decent ways of utilizing good, cross-dev music-routines. I've previously used the Paragon 5 Tracker / Gameboy Tracker which is sort of OK but it outputs a midi-like stream that takes a lot of space. I've also been using Aleksi's Carillion, which is great (but native) and a bit too limited / lacking effects.

So, i've looked into some disappointing options. But - I suddenly remembered that I downloaded Stello Doussis awesome Archon Player a few years back. After getting the utils running (and a few hours of looking through the modules in OpenMPT) I kind of got a grip on how things worked. The real problem comes when I try to assemble the source.

As it seems, Stello was using the last incarnation of CGBIDE to develop this. CGBIDE is nowhere to be found, so I don't know what version nor what assembler (probably WLA-GB or RGBDS?) it was bundled with. Both the included WLA-GB (returns a syntax error early in the code) and RGBASM refuse to compile it. I've uploaded the file (https://file.io/KczwhK) for you to look at and will try to include it in this post as well. Do any of you guys know how to make this compile properly?

Archon.rar
Archon Player, by Stello Doussis.
(2.4 MiB) Downloaded 229 times
Twoflower

Re: Compiling Archon Player by Stello Doussis

Post by Twoflower »

Ok, part of the mystery solved - I tried far too new versions of RGBDS. I haven't linked and fixed the resulting file, but it seems like RGBASM v1.11 compiles the source without problems. This gives some hope that a toolchain can be created that would enable:

* Creation of gameboy-music using tried contemporary tools instead of FastTracker II (OpenMPT).
* Converting your 6-channel .XM to data that can be used by the Archon Player.
* Assembling and linking the output to a native gameboy binary or .gbs

...and all this in one of the best sounding musicroutines on the GB/GBC. If you guys want to try compiling it, Otakus old version is still available from -> http://otakunozoku.com/rednex-gameboy-d ... nt-system/
tmk

Re: Compiling Archon Player by Stello Doussis

Post by tmk »

GJ 2f! Looking forward to some badass tunes. The one from CPL menu is still one of my favourites. :beer: