Game Boy Multirom

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
Mills

Game Boy Multirom

Post by Mills »

Hi, I started to use my GBC again with an ems usb smart cart, and noticed the official ems transfer program is not working on windows 64 very well. So I found another software called "ems qart" which works perfect, but it can only burn one rom.

I realized I could just create a multirom myself, and use ems qart to burn it... But I don't know how to do this, if I merge the rom files with a menu (found mottzilla's menu, that allows multi save :)). the new rom file will load in emulators and show the names of the roms to choose from, but thats all, nothing works, and it does not boot on the real GB (I was expecting it).

Any clues on how to achieve this?

Thanks.
Ryoga

Re: Game Boy Multirom

Post by Ryoga »

I think you must find out the mapper your flashcard uses and its datasheet or programmer's reference - the "menu" is nothing more than a homebrew which allows you to select the bank, typically by attempting to write a certain area of ROM, and jump to it or reboot the console to start the program it contains.

In any case you can try making your multi-rom with DGBMax v1.6. The newest OS it will run on is Win XP. You can build your multi-rom and then you can use the option to save the single ROM file it builds to disk. It has it's own built-in menu system that it adds as it builds the ROM. I don't know if it will work with anything other than a Bung Dr. GB Flash card but it's worth a shot and it won't cost you anything but the time to try.

Other options you can try:

EMSMenu_1-2
Building a 2MB MBC5 Gameboy Cart – Part 4: Adding Multi-game support
Mills

Re: Game Boy Multirom

Post by Mills »

Ryoga wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:33 am I think you must find out the mapper your flashcard uses and its datasheet or programmer's reference - the "menu" is nothing more than a homebrew which allows you to select the bank, typically by attempting to write a certain area of ROM, and jump to it or reboot the console to start the program it contains.
I could program some homebrew but I really wanted the multi save option, and that's beyond my capabilities. So I just installed a windows xp virtual machine, and used the modded ems flasher with mottzilla's menu.