It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:59 pm 

I actually find Gameboy more nostalgic than the NES. I have a good collection of GB games, and I think I have about half of what I used to (somehow, I lost a whole bunch of games, and I didn't sell them or throw them away). But I used to play that as my brothers owned all the consoles and I had to get their permission to play them, but I owned my Gameboy so I always played that. I'm actually going through Donkey Kong Land at the moment, as an irrelevant/sort of relevant side note.

So I hope to see a discussion section opened up. Then I think the discussions in this area should be moved over there, and maybe the one about where to get GB/GBC info should be stickied.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:38 am 

Oh it would be great to have a GB/GBC section here, altough there is already that other board that is not very active. People over there would probably love seeing other people come up, since they were left by all the guys who moved to GBA.

Altough I personally prefer the NES and SuperNES by a small amount probably because I have much more game (that doesn't mean I don't like the GB/C), here in my country everyone else seems to have Gameboys, even non-games, while only most verterans gamers knowns about the NES and SNES. So if I ever do GB/GBC dev I may get more popular than by doing (S)NES dev.

And honneslty I consider the GB, GBC and GBA to be completely separate consoles (despite their backwards compatibility). Because the GBA is out and is a great piece of hardware doesn't mean that GB dev is not interesting any longer I guess.

Also, screens from the older Gameboys looks really like pure craps, with terrible motion, forcing you to scroll terribly slowly if you want any chance to figure what is happening. Thanks god the backwards compatibility of GBC/GBAs and the Super Gameboy mean you can play them with a decent screen.

Oh and by the way, I don't know how many people agree, but as I find playing NES and SNES games emulated on a PC is about as fun as playing the original (if the emulation works correctly), playing emulated GB/GBC/GBA games emulated is just a pain and is not fun at all. The real hardware is really needed to have any fun. Altough Lameboy for the NDS is the only way I can have really fun playing emulated Gameboy games, because it really feels authentic.

EDIT : Oh and I just noticed that not only the homebrew scenes, but also the commerical developpers dropped the old GBC in favor of the GBA incredibly quickly, despite the popularity of the GBC. Released on the end of 1998, the GBA was released in 2001, and the latter developped GBC games are end of 2001, after that nobody cared abotu the GBC any longer, giving it a very short lifespan of about 3 years. It's amazing a console with such a short lifespan has become this popular, while the NES who had about 8 years of lifespan is less popular.

And I guess it took much longer to commerical developpers to forget about the GBA in order to move on the DS (about 3 years), and even longer to forget the PS2 in order to move to the PS3 (considering crap sales of the latter it's not surprising).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:27 am 

Bregalad wrote:
It's amazing a console with such a short lifespan has become this popular, while the NES who had about 8 years of lifespan is less popular.

No, believe me, in terms of worldwide cultural capital, the NES is far more popular than the GBC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:31 am 

Maybe in some contries, but here in Switzerland, I'm pretty sure the GBC is far popular than the NES (at least the GB is *much* more popluar, maybe the GBC a bit less).

This doesn't include the fact that all modern Nintendo and Sony consoles are all indirectly derivates of the NES.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:58 pm 

You are right about the screens. They blur like mad and it's a real pain when games are face paced like Contra. It's very hard to see what is going on and react. But thanks to the GBA SP, they can be played now with a backlight too.

I disagree with emulated GB and GBC games on the PC. They are still fun to me to play. Even if they were meant to be portable games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:15 pm 

I really should get around to properly documenting all my findings on the GBC (and eventually the DMG when I've done more testing). Unfortunately I'm up to my neck in stuff that needs to be done, so for now there's only emulator source code and cryptic test ROMs. Of course, some of it comes down to priorities, there are just too many things I want to do, and I'm a pretty selfish person at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:54 pm 

I always felt it was the perfect console to learn on (the GB more than the GBC) and still do. The hardware is very simple and easy to understand (especially the video interfacing), the no$cash debugger is pretty adequate, and the cpu is fairly popular and easy to understand. Though I already had experience with 386/486 assembly, the GB was my first console coding experience. It couldn't have been a better choice.

Ccovell: Hey, I keep just missing you over at utopiasoft. Wait... that sounds a bit weird <_<;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:09 pm 

I'd love to have an active game boy dev forum. I would have liked to make a game boy game more than a NES game since I like game boy a tad more than NES, but I personally found NES much easier to work with since this active and searchable forum/wiki is around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:11 pm 
Site Admin

sub-forum created

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:39 pm 

Yay! Thank you SO much Memblers, this'll be great for future purposes. Though you should name it "GameboyDev", though it's still understandable.

Also, I think it should be clear that it's for both GB and GBC. Again, thanks a lot :D !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:43 pm 

Thanks for creating the forum. Hope that it will be very active.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:35 am 

YAHOOOO ! Long live the GB dev !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:59 pm 

Woohoo :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:27 pm 

I think it's great that there are GBDev and SNESDev forums here, because I think the NES is kind of the "latin" for these systems. Since the systems are both branches of the NES, many people here have interests in the systems so lots of people here will have knowledge of them and can answer questions that other people might have.

So I think SNESDev and GBDev have a better chance of survival as sub forums here than they do as separate communities. If GBDev had a separate community, it probably wouldn't be very active, and then when people see that no one's posting anything, they stop checking, thus making the community REALLY dead. However, here, there's always activity, so it's more likely that if you have a question, someone with knowledge will scan through the forums, find it, and answer it, because like I said, a separate community might be dead because no one's checking it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:41 pm 

I agree with you Celius. It really makes sense for GB to have a section like SNES does as they are related to the NES and popular in the same way. It should hopefully encourage more GB related activity too.