It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:25 pm 

So I'm working on my emulator and I found that some games (Mega Man 1, Duck Tales) are like NES games using the background layer to make a status bar, unlike other games that use the window layer.

Does anyone know the specific rules to mid-frame updates? Right now I have it worked out to a point that it works ok, but I'm not sure it's perfect. It seems to me like the amount of lines rendered so far affects what part of the screen is drawn when you change the scroll value though, unlike on NES. So anyone with a good explanation of how it works I'd be interested in hearing it. What I have right now works but sometimes its off by a few lines.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:03 pm 

MottZilla wrote:
So I'm working on my emulator and I found that some games (Mega Man 1, Duck Tales) are like NES games using the background layer to make a status bar, unlike other games that use the window layer.

You might want to try SMB Deluxe too.

Quote:
It seems to me like the amount of lines rendered so far affects what part of the screen is drawn when you change the scroll value though, unlike on NES.

I don't know about the 8-bit Game Boy, but it might be acting like the Game Boy Advance or Nintendo DS in "text" mode. The GBA video hardware maintains a register VCOUNT, and it acts as if it moves an internal pointer to (BG_OFFSET.x, BG_OFFSET.y + VCOUNT) before each scanline. So if you start rendering the screen with BG_OFFSET.y=3 then set BG_OFFSET.y=23 at the end of scanline 15, then the screen will draw map lines 3-18 in screen lines 0-15, and then map lines 39+ in screen lines 16+.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:14 pm 

I did a split screen mutliscroller and don't remember there being a specific time frame on the scanline interrupt to write the reg changes. I assume they are latched at the end of the scanline like some other display systems. Or at least latched at some point in the scanline <_<

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:54 pm 

On the CGB the BG scroll registers are latched per tile, but there is some pipelining or something going on, so the scroll values for a tile are latched some time before it is drawn (around 16 clock cycles IIRC).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:58 pm 

It's not the timing that is the issue I'm most interested in though. It's the mechanics of what gets rendered and why. Or more specifically what part of the BG gets rendered.

What tepples said seems similar to what I did to get the scroll values for most games looking correct. When you change the scroll it seems the lines rendered is taken into effect on the next line draw at your new scroll location. But as I was saying, any sort of concrete knowledge on this subject would be nice. Loopy de-mystified the NES and scrolling, but there is no such thing for GB so I just sort of made similar guesses and worked it out to the point I have it now, which still isn't perfect. But ofcourse I still have lingering CPU bugs that could be causing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:09 pm 

I don't know how it works from the hardware side of things, but it's basically as you say that that lines rendered are taken into account.

Another thing is that if you change SCX during the line in VRAM mode then the lower 3 bits of horizontal scroll value can't be changed until next line so that all tiles are 8 pixels wide. So you have to align the horizontal scroll 0-7 pixels a bit earlier. You can still change the most significant 5 bits though.