Fixing ROMs for EMS 64 GB Smart Card USB

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
alepocho

Re: Fixing ROMs for EMS 64 GB Smart Card USB

Post by alepocho »

MottZilla wrote:It was brought to my attention that Mega Man Xtreme crashes on hard mode in Morph Moth's stage. This patch should fix that problem.
Hi, thanks for those patch you were made!

Mega Man xtreme 2 has a similar crash in the level select screen on the extreme mode, could it be fixed?
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Maybe. It helps if you provide a save file where the point of the crash can be reached within a small amount of time. The longer it takes to get to the point of a crash, the less likely I'll have time to look into fixing it.
alepocho

Post by alepocho »

Hi, thanks for your reply! Sorry for the delay, here is the save file

To reach the crash:

In the MODE SELECT screen choose CONTINUE, then in the load scren choose "file 1" "extreme mode", in the level/boss select screen will crash

Thanks again
Attachments
Record.7z
save file
(14.64 KiB) Downloaded 483 times
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I'll try to look at it when I can.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Try this. I think it'll work now.

Also here is just a more up to date collection of my fixes.
Attachments
sc_mzfix.zip
Collection of Fixes Sept 22nd 2014
(6.8 KiB) Downloaded 520 times
Mega Man Xtreme 2 (U) (Fix).ips
(75 Bytes) Downloaded 487 times
zaffo256

Post by zaffo256 »

First, I want to give a big thank you to MottZilla and Great Hierophant for all the great work they did for the community.

I have a question for MottZilla; I was wondering if your patch for Pokemon Card GB2 - GR Dan Sanjou! was compatible with this English patch.

I know that there is a good chance that this was asked a thousand time already and I am sorry if it was, but I didn't find any results after a quick search.

I tried running the IPS Patch Checker that was recently advertised on Romhacking.net's news feed and I got this result:
D:\Pokemon Card GB2 - GR Dan Sanjou! (J) [C] (Fix).ips
3 Records Found
Errors: 1
The Records below are overwritten in part or whole by the 2nd patch.

1. 00014E:
[FE] [3D]

D:\PokemonTCG2-FullTrans.ips
652 Records Found
Errors: 1
The below records overwrite the above records in part or in whole.

1. 000148:
[07] [03] [00] [33] [00] [38] [F7] [66]
Do you think that it would cause any problem? Is there a preferred order to apply those patch?

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by zaffo256 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

I'm not sure what the translation writes there, but the fix puts code there. If the translation is applied afterward, the fix won't work. If the translation is applied first, it might work. But there would probably be some issue somewhere because of what was overwritten. It's possible the fix can have it's code moved. If you post a link to the translation IPS patch, I'll try to look at it and see if it can be made compatible.
zaffo256

Post by zaffo256 »

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at it!
Here's the translation patch:
Attachments
PokemonTCG2Translation.zip
(178.77 KiB) Downloaded 462 times
alepocho

Post by alepocho »

MottZilla wrote:Try this. I think it'll work now.
Now works like a charm!

Thank you!
jopeji

Post by jopeji »

Lufia-The Legend Returns, not working in my GB USB smart Card 64M. :cry:

there any fix for this game?. thank you very much.
Shonumi

Post by Shonumi »

Not sure if this will help someone make a patch, but I know for a fact that Lufia: The Legend Returns sets the High 9th Bit of the MBC5 ROM Bank even though this technically points to non-existent ROM Banks. Only the low 8-bits of the ROM Bank number should be used in this game. This was an issue I encountered trying to emulate the game myself, so perhaps it's the cause of it not working with the EMS?
MottZilla

Post by MottZilla »

Lufia writes the high ROM bank bit directly all over the place. This might be what the EMS cart doesn't like, however the game also writes to this register area in other code, possibly by accident. I think Battletoads wrote to registers at weird addresses in the range which the EMS cartridge didn't like either so perhaps it is similar.

Update: Here is a fix to try. It prevents writes to the $3xxx range which are likely the cause of the game not working. Please report back with results.
Attachments
Lufia - The Legend Returns (U) [C](Fix).ips
(106 Bytes) Downloaded 471 times
jopeji

Post by jopeji »

MottZilla wrote:Lufia writes the high ROM bank bit directly all over the place. This might be what the EMS cart doesn't like, however the game also writes to this register area in other code, possibly by accident. I think Battletoads wrote to registers at weird addresses in the range which the EMS cartridge didn't like either so perhaps it is similar.

Update: Here is a fix to try. It prevents writes to the $3xxx range which are likely the cause of the game not working. Please report back with results.
Perfect working great, thank you very much :mrgreen:
jopeji

Post by jopeji »

hi, Revelations - The Demon Slayer.gbc does not work either :cry: , I need your help for a fix. thank you very much!! :wink:
beefinator

Post by beefinator »

mottZilla, I saw a bit earlier in the thread a dude who was having issues with Link's Awakening; I've tried a couple different ROMs with your latest (1.2?) patch, and I'm getting stuck at the same place. It will not retain a save after I rescue the BowWow.
I think the end of the conversation was you saying you'd take another look sometime; I'm wondering if you ever did get a chance to, or if I'm doing something wrong.

Attached is a save file right at the entrance of the cave where you rescue it.
When I go in, fight the baddies, rescue the bowwow, walk out, and save+quit to title, I can then immediately load the save slot again and resume the game, at the cave entrance with the bowwow.
But if I power cycle, and then try to resume my game, I'm placed at the cave entrance, pre-bowwow. It only retains the save while it's running, not on power off.

roms I've tried (perhaps I'm just using the wrong ones): one
two
Attachments
zeldabowwow.zip
(16.25 KiB) Downloaded 441 times