It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 5:59 pm 

The "Bung Fix" is a previously made patch for the game, designed to fix the garbled map bug when running the game on Bung carts. It should fix it on the EMS ones, as well. Not sure if you can find the patch alone, but GoodGB lists the ROM as "Super Mario Land 2 - 6 Golden Coins (V1.0) (UE) [BF]".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:08 pm 

In the GoodGBx romsets, variants will have a (BF) tag in the file name which denotes they have been "Bung Fixed". You could try using those.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 6:21 pm 

Thanks for your suggestion. I tested on real hardware using GB USB Smart Card 64M and it worked fine. So for everyone who dumped their original Super Mario Land 2 game and wants to play a backup of it without the garbled and scrambled map, here's the IPS patch for you to add to your collection:

Super Mario Land 2 Fixed Map Patch

P.S.: Have a look at the readme.txt there... I hope you agree :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 5:53 pm 

About the Link's Awakening fix, I tested more with it and I'm sorry to tell you that it fails to save when starting the 2nd dungeon. You reach there after 15 minutes of playing or so. Before that it saves perfectly (GB turned off and save is restored fine), but when you free Bow-Wow (a living chained ball like those that appear in Mario games) it keeps following you wherever you walk and if you save you get a white screen where you can only see Link character outlined. If you quit the game and load the save game, it starts correctly at the same point but all the screen is still white, so you can't see the surroundings. When the GB is turned off and on, that save game position is lost and you get to the point where you saved correctly last time (before freeing Bow-Wow).

Adam_smasher, can you guess why is this happening? Maybe in your fix you changed correctly some value that appears again later in the code.

Thanks a lot if you can look into this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:39 pm 

Ack! Yes, it's possible my patch has overwritten something important or another. Or it's possible that there are more bad bankswitches embedded in the code. I'll take a look ASAP and try to fix this.

If you could clarify though - you say you get a white screen after saving. Do you mean by dying, then Saving & Continuing? As far as I can recall, that's the only way to save outside of Saving & Quitting, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:04 am 

Both ways of saving gives the white screen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:27 pm 

Can't reproduce on an emulator, sorry. Some possibilities:

1. You're doing something else to trigger this bug and ascribing it to the wrong condition (i.e. saving Bow-wow isn't the trigger, something else is)

2. The ROM didn't copy onto the flash cart correctly

3. The game is doing something weird that's tripping up the flash cart unrelated to the MBC5 bankswitching.

4. ???

At any rate, not sure what I can do to help at this point. Even if I bother trying to reproduce on the cart, that won't really help me debug at all.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:19 pm 

Does the game write to registers at a strange address? I recall fixing a game which sometimes would write to an address that does nothing on a normal cartridge but on the SmartCard it was writing to master bank registers.

I wish I could be more specific but I don't recall what address it was writing to that caused the problem.

Edit: Well in an earlier post of mine I said in the $6000 to $8000 range. So try running in an emulator with a break on write to that range. If the game is writing to that range I guess its messing up the Master Registers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 9:44 pm 

Tried that, got nuffin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 11:13 pm 

Another possibility, in Gauntlet I believe it bank switches like discrete mappers on NES with bus conflicts. I recall modifying this to always write at say $4000 rather than $4006 or whatever the number fixed the game to run on the SmartCard. So you could check to see if it is trying to bankswitch on non-standard addresses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 12:55 am 

Hm, after a bit of investigation I'm pretty sure the game only ever writes to $2100 to switch banks. And I've checked every bank write the game does during its save procedure, and at no point does it write a bad value (00, 20, etc.)

Thanks for your help Mott, but TBH, at this point I don't think there's a problem with my patch. My guess is that your ROM, praedo, was either corrupt to begin with or didn't transfer properly onto your cart. I'll give it a shot on mine tomorrow and see if the problem really is there on real HW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:59 am 

I said 15 minutes but maybe yo have to play up to 30 minutes. It starts to happen when that chained ball is following you everywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 9:45 am 

You mean you have to play to the point that you rescue Bow Wow (I think that is his name) for the problem to begin occurring?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:04 am 

Exactly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:49 pm 

Alright, no idea if this is causing your problem, but it seems possible.

In what is, I think, the map loading routine, it makes bad bankswitches when loading certain maps (in ROM at $2DED). I should have caught this before. Mea culpa. No idea why this usually doesn't screw things up, but...

Anyway, given that you seem to be having trouble with map loading, I'd imagine that this is the source of the issue. I still haven't been able to trigger this glitch, but give this new patch a shot and see if it helps. Sorry for doubting you =P

DOWNLOAD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 324 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next