It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours

Post subject: GB mode 7 tech demo
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:05 pm 

Saw this on reddit today and thought I'd share. Just wow. This guy must be a wizard or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:20 pm 

Did you ever see Wacky Races for Game Boy Color?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:43 pm 

Wasn't gameboy color's cpu clocked faster? Were original gameboys faster than a nes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:49 pm 

darknezz19 wrote:
Were original gameboys faster than a nes?

Yes, the GB is clocked faster than the NES, but comparing just the clock speed of CPUs with completely different architectures is a poor way of benchmarking them. I think most people would say that the overall processing power is equivalent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:02 am 

I'm assuming that the Z80 is clocked twice as fast as the 6502 here, otherwise there is no fair comparison.
A Z80 needs a clock speed twice as fast as a 6502 to keep up. They're about the same if the Z80 is twice the clock speed of the 6502. Some tasks are slightly faster on the double-clocked Z80 and some are slightly faster on the 6502. For example, block copy is almost twice as fast on a double-clocked Z80 compare to a half-clocked 6502.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:31 am 

NES: 1.8 MHz 6502. GB: 4.2 MHz Z80-like. So I'd say they're roughly comparable. But YouTube couldn't find me any video of Wacky Races for GBC; all it found was "are you sure you didn't mean to type wacky races gba?".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:01 am 

tepples wrote:
But YouTube couldn't find me any video of Wacky Races for GBC; all it found was "are you sure you didn't mean to type wacky races gba?".

Wacky Race for GBC: YouTube

The Stunt Race FX demo is really impressive, but as said on the intro, it's better on original Game Boy (up to the pocket version), on Game Boy Color/GBA it works but graphics are glitched/ some lines are missing and some parts of the music does not play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:10 am 

Hah. That explains why Tepples couldn't find it. The title says GBA, even if the description says GBC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:22 am 

Dwedit wrote:
I'm assuming that the Z80 is clocked twice as fast as the 6502 here, otherwise there is no fair comparison.
A Z80 needs a clock speed twice as fast as a 6502 to keep up. They're about the same if the Z80 is twice the clock speed of the 6502.

I'm sorry, could you repeat that one more time? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:42 am 

About Wacky Races: It reminds me of the sort of 3D seen in Rad Racer series or Sonic Drift series, but with more texture on the road. The Game Boy Color has hblank access to CHR RAM, and GBC-exclusive games run in 8.4 MHz double-speed mode, but the NES has CHR ROM bankswitching as seen in Cosmic Epsilon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:21 am 

tepples wrote:
About Wacky Races: It reminds me of the sort of 3D seen in Rad Racer series or Sonic Drift series, but with more texture on the road. The Game Boy Color has hblank access to CHR RAM, and GBC-exclusive games run in 8.4 MHz double-speed mode, but the NES has CHR ROM bankswitching as seen in Cosmic Epsilon.

To be honnest this GBC game looks awesome. It looks like the GBC had an hardware mode 7 (which of course it don't). Compared to this Cosmic Epsilon looks like a piece of s***t. In fact even compared to Rad Racer I find personally it looks so-so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:14 pm 

Dwedit wrote:
Did you ever see Wacky Races for Game Boy Color?

Are you really suggesting that the old and simple road distortion technique with a little extra texturing is technically more impressive than that GB demo? Come on!

On YouTube they're also comparing the demo to Toy Story Racer on the GBC, which makes absolutely no sense since that game is 100% pre-rendered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:08 pm 

Wacky Races isn't that impressive to me, it looks basically like Rad Racer. Completely flat ground, effects easily achieved with raster distortion techniques.

I wish people would stop calling these Mode 7, or even saying they look like Mode 7. Mode 7 means the entire ground is one big texture that can be rotated, with a bit of camera control for angles and zooming in and out, and that's it. SNES games with Mode 7 still have completely flat ground but it's noticeably more realistic than Wacky Races. When you turn, you don't just slide side to side over a road with perfect perspective. Your viewpoint turns with you and you actually see the road at a different angle.

The GB demo is both better and worse than Mode 7. It supports simulated hills, valleys and jumps, much like Road Rash on the Genesis. It even looks like it supports some basic 3D polygon rendering, in the scenery that passes by at about 1:00. But it's still nowhere near as good as Mode 7 because all camera angles are a sort of simulated 3D - you could never pause the game and rotate the view around the car, it's always straight on or a carefully designed curve that isn't really much of a turn.