Donkey Kong '94 - Pauline Scream Emulation

Discussion of programming and development for the original Game Boy and Game Boy Color.
Jedi QuestMaster

Donkey Kong '94 - Pauline Scream Emulation

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

This has been driving me nuts for a long time.

I remembered playing this game on a Game Boy Phat when I was prob 10. And one distinguishing characteristic I remembered all too well was Pauline's scream, which doesn't seem to be emulated on BGB, Goomba Color, any of the Youtube videos I see, & I can't find it on the GBS file.

I was starting to get convinced maybe I was just crazy, but then I played the rom on VisualBoy Advance & it plays it just as I remembered! :shock:

Why is this one sound effect so elusive? Is it a PCM? And is there any way to get it to work on Goomba?
Last edited by Jedi QuestMaster on Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tepples

Re: Donkey Kong '94 - Paula Scream Emulation

Post by tepples »

Are you talking about the Pauline scream on Game Boy/GBC/GBA or the Pauline scream on Super Game Boy? They're two different sound effects.
Dwedit

Re: Donkey Kong '94 - Pauline Scream Emulation

Post by Dwedit »

BSnes emulates the Super Game Boy completely, including sounds made by the SNES rather than just sounds made by the gameboy. But it's slow, it doesn't even reach full speed on a 2GHz Core 2 Duo machine.
The currently distributed version of Bsnes called Higan doesn't seem to support the Super Game Boy though. Or maybe it does, but doesn't seem to have any way to load super game boy games. I got it to work with version 0.77, when loading Super Game Boy roms was still easy (provide a .GB file and the Super Game Boy .SFC file, rather than anything more complicated)
Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
Jedi QuestMaster

Re: Donkey Kong '94 - Paula Scream Emulation

Post by Jedi QuestMaster »

tepples wrote:Are you talking about the Pauline scream on Game Boy/GBC/GBA or the Pauline scream on Super Game Boy? They're two different sound effects.
Gee.. :? I didn't know about that. My guess is the GB, not the SGB. Here it is:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/82042602/paula_scream.wav

Edit: Figured out how to get it working—disable SGB mode I guess the reason it's silent is because the SGB scream isn't emulated? But now there's no cool border or pwetty colors! :x Wah! :cry: Maybe I can hax0r it? Image

Also noticed that any monochrome Donkey Kong let's plays have the Pauline sound.
mikejmoffitt

Re: Donkey Kong '94 - Pauline Scream Emulation

Post by mikejmoffitt »

Also, don't forget the end theme that plays on the SPC! I only discovered this by accident when I bumped the cartridge and it started to play.