Have you seen new game for NES Gotta Protectors - Amazon's?

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Dwedit

Re: Have you seen new game for NES Gotta Protectors - Amazon

Post by Dwedit »

The sheer size of the sprite reminds me of Chris Covell's April Fools joke page about the Supergrafx.
Specifically, "The Super Kung-Fu".

Here come the fortune cookies! Here come the fortune cookies! They're wearing paper hats!
tepples

Post by tepples »

The excuse for having huge heads on a sprite used to be that you can't show distinctive facial features in a realistically proportioned sprite that isn't at least 48 pixels tall. That justifies, for example, the difference between trainers' inflated heads in overhead parts of Pokémon and their less-exaggerated proportions in battle.

But that doesn't apply so much here. This sprite is tall but still has a head-to-neck ratio that looks like whiplash-bait.
gauauu

Post by gauauu »

tepples wrote:The excuse for having huge heads on a sprite used to be that you can't show distinctive facial features in a realistically proportioned sprite that isn't at least 48 pixels tall. That justifies, for example, the difference between trainers' inflated heads in overhead parts of Pokémon and their less-exaggerated proportions in battle.
No, despite what that article says, huge heads have been around in all sorts of cartoon/illustrated/animated media long before video games. Yes, for the reason you mentioned, but no, it's not just about a small number of pixels. A cartoon-styled character having an oversized is head is completely normal.

Exhibit 1: Charlie Brown, from 1950.
M_Tee

Post by M_Tee »

Yeah, that's kind of a left-field observation that comes off more as a thinly veiled complaint against any kind of SD / chibi / anime art-style, not to mention its presence in modern Western cartooning, such as Dexter's Laboratory or whatever.

Anyway, I think it's a neat project with impressive visuals. Considering it's being distributed freely online as some type of promotional mini-game for a non-FC project, the feasibility of these tehniques being expanded into a "full game" is a non-issue. It's rad to see such large, fluidly animated sprites on the system.
Pokun

Post by Pokun »

Yeah the SD-style is as popular as ever. I do believe one benefit of the style is to show face expressions in low resolutions, but the fact that it's still used in modern games and other media where this isn't relevant shows that that's hardly a deciding factor. It's a fact that the style is considered cute and popular.
Besides this game is a promotion of a 3DS game (Minna de Mamotte Knight 2, check out that manga where "Famikid Mamoru" analyses the game code) that's using SD-style character design and retro-style graphics.
FrankenGraphics wrote:Maybe i'm just terribly bad at this sort of game, but what good is the kick, double kick and back flip? Everytime i try to kick a 'bad' item, i seem to collect it instead.

But the wall of cupcakes at level 5 must be destroyed somehow....
I think the kick moves are just to avoid cupcake panels. I use it to simulate a double jump to stay in the air longer. I found no way to avoid that cupcake wall completely, I just slide through it to minimize cake consumption and as long as your liquid level isn't low it's usually no problem.
Punch

Post by Punch »

Kasumi wrote:Image
Nintendo eShop ads on an unofficial NES game from the year 2017? Is it finally happening? Where do I submit my license application?
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
tepples

Post by tepples »

That's nothing. A game description in the third Action 53 volume carries an ad for a download store that competes with Nintendo's.
Haunted: Halloween '85
2015 Retrotainment Games
1 player

Beat up the zombies and make
your way through the mall.

+ Move
A: Jump
B: Punch
Down+B: Uppercut

This is only a taste of the
full game, available for
NES and Steam.
available for
NES and Steam.
Steam.
So anyway, to get on Nintendo 3DS eShop, you first need to have completed a PC game of some sort so that you have enough confidence and experience to make best use of the devkit Nintendo offers to sell you. Then you can register through developer.nintendo.com (formerly WarioWorld). But I've read somewhere that Nintendo Switch devkits are reserved for those with successful Nintendo 3DS games.