Tile set set up

A place for your artistic side. Discuss techniques and tools for pixel art on the NES, GBC, or similar platforms.

Moderator: Moderators

Chasersgaming

Re: Tile set set up

Post by Chasersgaming »

FrankenGraphics wrote:
its very frustrating that it keeps changing the whole colour pallet of the tileset when i switch to another pallete for a different tile.
If i'm understanding this right... well, the thing is a tileset doesn't have colours, or subpalettes for that matter. Don't focus on what colours the tileset appears to have in the tile window - focus on what it looks like when you've placed it on the nametable field. This is where you assign which palette to use for backgrounds - this is called the attribute table. You can view the attribute table by toggling the "attribute" toggle switch.

For sprites, it works a little different, but principially the same. Tiles don't have colour - colours are assigned on a per-sprite basis.
yeah, i think i got ya, create artwork, then select tile, then select pallete and adjust occordingly. :) i forgot that it changes for 16x16 grid, not 8x8.
Chasersgaming

Post by Chasersgaming »

Out of curiosity, is it a must that 1 out of the 4 palletes share the same colour? (For backgrounds)
Nioreh

Post by Nioreh »

Chasersgaming wrote:Out of curiosity, is it a must that 1 out of the 4 palletes share the same colour? (For backgrounds)
Yes
FrankenGraphics
Formerly WheelInventor

Post by FrankenGraphics »

Technically, the background layer allows for 3 colours + transparency. The first entry in any subpalette is really that transparency, but its value acts as a flood-fill for the screen colour behind that background layer.

If a sprite is drawn behind the background layer, you will notice that slot 0 in the subpalette does not cover that sprite.
Chasersgaming

Post by Chasersgaming »

nesrocks wrote:Yes, please do!
im getting the hang of it now :)
Attachments
preview.png
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

That looks like a fun game to play :)
After you're satisfied you can optimize it a lot by removing duplicate tiles. I see there are several, and NESST has an option to highlight duplicates!
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Chasersgaming

Post by Chasersgaming »

Thanks, it’s not a game, just some artwork to share. I see that it can get rid of duplicates which is good, oh I know what I was going to ask, what is the differences between the NESST and YY-CHR colour palettes? One Pal, ons NTSC? Which is the preference or is there not really a definitive one to use, is one more genuine?
nesrocks

Post by nesrocks »

Either can use any palette by default (well at least yy-chr I know can). Just download a palette and replace the file in the main folder. Nes palettes are a topic of their own, google "best nes palette" and you'll see several theories.
https://twitter.com/bitinkstudios <- Follow me on twitter! Thanks!
https://www.patreon.com/bitinkstudios <- Support me on Patreon!
Chasersgaming

Post by Chasersgaming »

OK, thank you all for your help with this, I think I can get me head around creating assets for the NES system now, Gameboy and the SNES. Il post any new work on a new thread for you guys to have fun and play around with. I’m sure the more I work with it the more I will improve, thanks again you have been a great help!

:)